Not enough Lye Solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemmali

Reaction score
So I planned on making two batches of soap, exact same recipe and since space and time are limited I just put both batches of lye solution together.

Somehow, the next day when I went to make my soap (looking back on what went wrong) I realized I just read the wrong notation and put in only half of the solution. So I finished making my soap and molded it and of course came back today to a swampy, though pleasantly scented mess. Before I toss it, is there -any- chance of fixing it via hot process? I've been doing this for a while now, but this is the first time making this particular error and found nothing relevant to my rather embarrassing ooopsie.

Also any advice on HP or any other methods that might be suggested would be helpful as I've only done CP soaping so far :)

Thanks in advance!

So you made a double batch but with only the single batch amount of lye solution? Definitely sounds salvageable. You will need to mix in your additional lye solution and call in @Zany_in_CO for advice on doing an oven rebatch that I have never done - but sounds fabulous!
two different loaves, just the same exact size mold and recipe used. In essence I used not quite half of what I was suppose to use for the one I screwed up. Fixed that with the second one which seems to be doing just fine and the rest of the solution that should have been in the first one is still in the container I made it in. I hope that makes sense...

You've got exactly the right amount of lye solution, already made, for the swamp consistency batch?
Nice.

Add the lye solution to the swamp.
Stir, stick blend and pour.
If your batch is still even a little runny, this will work.

HP (adding heat - you can do this in a pot/double boiler/oven etc.)
If it's not runny anymore, adding heat (HP) will get it to gel, so you can pour/scoop into the mold

So I guess I am not really following the question here. All you would have to do is empty out your mold into your soaping container and add in your missing lye solution stir well and re-mold unless it had started to set up. If that is the case you could put it in the oven at 170-200ºF in a non-reactive oven-safe container melt it down and mix in your missing lye solution then pour it back into the mold. As for the remaining batch of oils just reweigh your lye solution or make a fresh batch so it is correct.

You've got exactly the right amount of lye solution, already made, for the swamp consistency batch?
Nice.

Add the lye solution to the swamp.
Stir, stick blend and pour.
If your batch is still even a little runny, this will work.

HP (adding heat - you can do this in a pot/double boiler/oven etc.)
If it's not runny anymore, adding heat (HP) will get it to gel, so you can pour/scoop into the mold
I do! Thank you so much.. I will certainly give this a try. And lesson learned.. ^-^

So you made a double batch but with only the single batch amount of lye solution? Definitely sounds salvageable. You will need to mix in your additional lye solution and call in @Zany_in_CO for advice on doing an oven rebatch that I have never done - but sounds fabulous!
Oven re-batch is uber simple and takes less liquid. Just put your shavings in a non-reactive oven-safe pan, sprinkle with the liquid of choice, and meltdown at 170-200º F approx 75-95 C If you do not cover it keep an eye out that it does not dry out, I cover my pot but if using foil make sure it does not touch the soap. It will give you a much better melt than using a crock pot.

EDTA: the amount of liquid will depend on the age of the soap. If using really dry hard soap shaving add in more liquid. I do not use set amounts I just guess.

Oven re-batch is uber simple and takes less liquid. Just put your shavings in a non-reactive oven-safe pan, sprinkle with the liquid of choice, and meltdown at 170-200º F approx 75-95 C If you do not cover it keep an eye out that it does not dry out, I cover my pot but if using foil make sure it does not touch the soap. It will give you a much better melt than using a crock pot.

EDTA: the amount of liquid will depend on the age of the soap. If using really dry hard soap shaving add in more liquid. I do not use set amounts I just guess.
Always reading this forum for information. Am going to save your instructions and use for my next rebatch. Thank you @cmzaha

I do what @cmzaha does with a little more detail that might be helpful to read through.

Oven or Crockpot Rebatch

Rebatch with Pictures (CP made with 60 oz. oils)
@cmzaha @Zany_in_CO understood that rebatch cannot necessarily include precise measurements as all soaps so very different with different reasons for rebatch. Oven temperature good to have along with estimates. @Zany_in_CO will read and keep your instructions as well. Everything goes into my soap notes binder for finding when needed! Thank you both!!!!

@cmzaha @Zany_in_CO understood that rebatch cannot necessarily include precise measurements as all soaps so very different with different reasons for rebatch. Oven temperature good to have along with estimates. @Zany_in_CO will read and keep your instructions as well. Everything goes into my soap notes binder for finding when needed! Thank you both!!!!
@Zany_in_CO Rebatched yesterday using your recommendation for oven rebatch. This method is so much easier than stovetop rebatch. Thank you for suggesting the oven rebatch method! Oven Rebatch (CP)

Latest posts

Back