Not All Mixers Created Equal...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
I know that aluminum and lye do not work well together, so this probably rules out aluminum beaters of all types. What kind of a mixer could/should be used? I know a wooden spoon is essential, and I've read posts about stick mixers.
Is there a point during soap making that aluminum can be used safely?
Thanks to everyone!
:) :)

:)

Don't use a wooden spoon either. Over time, it will splinter and pieces of wood will end up in your soap. Stainless steel, silicone or plastic is best.

Irena

While I am new to soaping I can already tell you that stick mixer is the wat to go. I use a silicone spatula and a 10.22 stick mixer from Wal-Mart. If I had it to do over again I would have spent the 10 bucks for the mixer on my first batch instead of on scent. If you use the a spoon for a few batches then get the mixer though be prepared. The recipe I use took like 30 minutes with a spoon and like 2 minutes with the mixer. It came together so fast I forgot my scent.

I use a Kitchen Aide Stick Blender and have a Braun back-up. I used to use el-cheapos when I first started soaping and they work well for a while. When you can afford one, a Kitchen aide SB is a great investment tool. I use a Kitchen Aide mixer to make my lotions, creams and whipped body butters in. Can you tell I love Kitchen Aide?LOL They do make quality products. Like Irena said a wooden spoon is not the best idea. I use a silicone spoonula, and spatulas to clean up my soap bucket. Love silicone utensils for soaping! 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Thank you for your responses. I'm assuming that aluminum is a no-no throughout the entire process. The lye soap bar that I bought and used converted me to try my hand at cp, perhaps this week-end. It only has lye, lard, and water as ingredients. I keep thinking how great it would be if it also had a little soothing oil in it as well. That's where I come into it! Also, my dad has a bad case of athelete's feet - has for awhile now. I bought him a bar to use to see if it really is effective, as claimed. I want to hear what he has to say about the lye soap. He doesn't know that he is part of an experiment.
Well... later

:wink:

Aluminum and lye do not mix! Stainless steel, plastic, silicone, dare I say the "G" word, glass used with caution, but no aluminum. You ought to try my salt bars for your dads athletic foot issues. A salt bar is great for skin problems! I love salt bars.

Soapmaker Man, I wish I had known about your salt bars. Actually, I don't know anything about them except they sound wonderful. Care to elaborate on them? Also, thank you for taking the time to answer this and all other posts. I will let everyone know how my first experience with cp goes this week-end. Wish me luck!

:!:

Your very welcome. :) Salt bars are really nice! I have some scented in Burberry for men. I can give you the recipe, but they are really not for beginner soap makers, as they are a little tricky to make. The salt really moves the batter fast and it gets really hot and you must watch it carefully and cut within a few hours of pouring or you need a jackhammer to cut the log/slab! I can send you one if you want. They last a long time and are about 50% heavier than a regular bar because of the salt. They really do help skin issues. I have excema on my left hand, and since using my salt bars, it is almost disappeared.

Soapmaker Man said:
Your very welcome. :) Salt bars are really nice! I have some scented in Burberry for men. I can give you the recipe, but they are really not for beginner soap makers, as they are a little tricky to make. The salt really moves the batter fast and it gets really hot and you must watch it carefully and cut within a few hours of pouring or you need a jackhammer to cut the log/slab! I can send you one if you want. They last a long time and are about 50% heavier than a regular bar because of the salt. They really do help skin issues. I have excema on my left hand, and since using my salt bars, it is almost disappeared.

My daughter has really bad eczema, she has been on presctription creams since she was 6 mo. old. That is one big reason I was first interested in making my own soap. Do you sell your salt bars on a web-site? I saw the thread on the salt bars and loved them but I don't think I am ready to make them, as you said they seam a bit tricky. I would love to buy some though.

Salt bars must be the way to go.... and Burberry would be the scent for my dad. I wonder what he would think if he knew his athlete's feet were the topic of interest :?: I certainly would not attempt a salt bar recipe, and probably won't for a good while but thanks for offering the recipe. I'm used to most folks guarding their tried and trues, but this forum has taught me alot already. Thanks, friends!

I would like to state however that athletes foot is caused by a fungus. While a good soap may relieve the irritation I do not believe it would be a cure. May want to suggest him a prescription strength Lamisil .

Salt is a well known antibacterial agent, especially for skin born bacteria. Give the salt bar a try! :D 8)
I spent $100's of bucks on prescription strength ointments. One tube of ointment made in Ireland cost me $125.00 a tube. My Dermatologist told me nothing would cure it, but this high dollar stuff was the best at keeping it at bay....NOT TRUE! A $5.00 salt bar will do just as good at helping to tackle skin borne bacteria. I am not saying my salt bar, or anyone else's are qualified for medical purposes, simply my observation as a person who has skin fall off his feet daily and were red always!

gbtreasures said:
Salt bars must be the way to go.... and Burberry would be the scent for my dad. I wonder what he would think if he knew his athlete's feet were the topic of interest :?: I certainly would not attempt a salt bar recipe, and probably won't for a good while but thanks for offering the recipe. I'm used to most folks guarding their tried and trues, but this forum has taught me alot already. Thanks, friends!

Please do not use anything with fragrance oils to treat this.
Edco is right it is an infection caused by fungus.

I would not use this on a child for eczema either.

In either case you can make the conditons worse by using a soap or anything with a synthetic fragrance.

I'm so sorry Lucy, as I did not mean to give inaccurate info, and I still hold to my personal observations. Your advice about not using on a young child is correct possibly, as one should check with your personal DR. gbtreasures did say athletics foot bothered her father and I do NOT suffer from that, only psoriasis and excema of the foot. That is what my salt bars have, well I'll hold back from stating curing, but rather helping greatly! I can state this because I suffered for almost 20 years before using my salt bars to "help." I can, as well as anyone who has some experience in CP soaping make unscented, uncoloured salt bars. My salt bar recipe is not 50/50% salt, but 40/60 salt. Sorry for the misunderstanding...my bad. :)

Paul

Hello Soapmaker Man...

I found your salt bars topic in another place, and I'm very interested in trying to make them.

I have a couple questions...first, you say that you used your bars immediately (or within a couple days) does the salt help to cure them faster or are you making them using HP??? What effect does salt have on the lye still left in the bars?

Also, I'm not completely comprehending the formula used to make the bars. I usually make batches that are 60oz of oils, so what amount of salt would I need for that batch? Do you add it at trace? Do you recommend coarse sea salt or fine or is that just a personal preference?

I'm sorry for inundating you with all these questions, but with the holidays coming up I'm excited to try a few new things!!

Thanks for all your help!
Kelly

mcleodnaturals said:
Hello Soapmaker Man...

I found your salt bars topic in another place, and I'm very interested in trying to make them.

You ought to! I love salt bars! I hear a few soapmakers only personally use their salt bars and nothing else! I like mine that well.

I have a couple questions...first, you say that you used your bars immediately (or within a couple days) does the salt help to cure them faster or are you making them using HP??? What effect does salt have on the lye still left in the bars?

Yes, the added salt creates a great amount of heat and speeds saponification and thus dries out more moisture faster. A salt bar is easily usable within 24 hours after removing from the mold. They get very hard very fast! You don't want to drop a salt bar on your foot in the shower! They are heavier too, since the addition of salt. They last longer also than regular CP soap does. As with all soap, waiting is a tad better but not nearly as much as regular CP.
I make only CP soaps. The salt bars are CP also.

Also, I'm not completely comprehending the formula used to make the bars. I usually make batches that are 60oz of oils, so what amount of salt would I need for that batch? Do you add it at trace? Do you recommend coarse sea salt or fine or is that just a personal preference?

I only use a 40/60% blend of salt verses oils for a recipe. If your normal recipe and mold uses 60 ounces, I would reformulate a recipe using about 50 ounces of oils and use 40 ounces of salt. With this formula, XXXamount of oils times .8 equils how much salt needed in the recipe. I use fine sea salt or fine Kosher salt. Most any salt except Epsom's Salt, which is not really "salt" will work though. I add my fine sea salt at very light trace, just after I know I've stick blended all the ingredients together thoroughly. After pouring in the salt, just whisk it together until well incorporated, add scent or colour and perhaps swirl a colour or two.

I'm sorry for inundating you with all these questions, but with the holidays coming up I'm excited to try a few new things!!

I'm excited for you to try them! You will love them too!

Thanks for all your help!

Your welcome Kelly! :D

Kelly

Just for the record, my dad visited his dr. and is now taking a prescription pill for fungus. I wanted the lye soap to work in addition to the pills, which he just started taking. The lye soap would help externally. I understand SopamakerMan's conviction on the salt bars, and because of it, I, myself, want to try one. Should I pm you, SoapmakerMan? :?:

gbtreasures said:
Just for the record, my dad visited his dr. and is now taking a prescription pill for fungus. I wanted the lye soap to work in addition to the pills, which he just started taking. The lye soap would help externally. I understand SopamakerMan's conviction on the salt bars, and because of it, I, myself, want to try one. Should I pm you, SoapmakerMan? :?:

Yes, it might be better. Thank you!

Back