Nori in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'd really like to use kelp in soap but I always forget to order it, can I use a sheet of nori instead?
I figure I can soak it in a bit of water then blend it and strain through a coarse sieve to get the size I want. or should I try a grinder first?
I'm thinking about trying HP salt bars again and would use the nori in that.

Honestly don't see any issue with that. I think it should go well in a salt bar. :) I would add it to water and blend it. I wouldn't try to grind it. You can also tear it into small peices before you wet/blend it. That will probably help.

I added it to hot water, let it soak for a few minutes then ran it through a bullet blender. It blended up smaller then I though it would and its quite thick.
Not going to scent this bar, I want to see how much kelp comes through.

I added it to hot water, let it soak for a few minutes then ran it through a bullet blender. It blended up smaller then I though it would and its quite thick.
Not going to scent this bar, I want to see how much kelp comes through.

That sounds really interesting! I'll be waiting for an update on how it came out.

I have sheets of nori that I know I will never use, and this sounds like a great way to use it and make a great product.

I'm interested to see how your soap comes out too. I have some nori that I wanted to use also, I had cut it into small pieces, but some of the sheets are pretty thick, and I was worried that it might end up being "scratchy." I have a Nutribullet too, so maybe that's the way to go. You said it came out kind of thick. I wonder if you didn't soak it first, and just pulsed it, and soaked it later? I remember seeing some soap with pieces of nori in it and thought it looked interesting. Never thought about the logistics of getting it to look that way! Ah, I found the pic, here it is.

nori.jpg

Not sure if I should have used a full sheet in a 1 lb batch but it looks good, a bit greener then I was going for though. My recipe called for 6oz of water, half of that I used to make the nori slurry, the other half was for the lye.

I waited until the soap had cooked some before adding the nori, I should have added to the oils at the beginning. I have a few white bits from where I didn't get it mixed into the soap all the way. No noticeable scent.

This turned out really well for HP, especially since its a salt bar. Only used 25% salt this time, I didn't want it to turn into concrete in the crock like it did last time I tried to HP salt bars.

Tops, a bit washed out from the flash
2dv7wvs.jpg

cut sides
2a8kn02.jpg

closer
23wwc5l.jpg

Yeah, I was hoping for a low tide scent but at the same time, now I know I can scent this with anything and the nori won't come through.

I couldn't wait to try this, as soon as I knew it was zap free I test washed to see if the nori would be scratchy. So far its not, I can feel the texture but its totally soft and a bit weird.

This was my first time using 25% salt and I think its my best salt bar yet. Thick fluffy lather but in larger amounts then any other salt bar. I literally had a handful of lather that was dense as cool whip. I will be using 25% salt for now on. Can't wait until this one is cured.

Latest posts

Back