Noobie phase 1-1/2

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok!! so excited, Ive been avidly studying soaps for about a week now, staying up til 4 or 5am!!
Just recieved my order from certified lye, Ive got enough to make about 80 bars of soap which i figure should at least get me partially through phase 2 of being a noobie to this whole shabang...

now for the questions...bare with me, there will be quite a few!! I appreciate any/all replies

1) how do you know if your soap has spoiled??

2) has anyone tried to make their own essential oils?

3) If I were to infuse oil with lavendar flowers (or other plant matter) and strain it would the scent carry through in the soap??

4) Has anyone ever tried using wheatgrass in soap?? does it have any benefits when used on the skin?? I know it works wonders when you juice/drink it and it has a huge amount of beneficial nutrients...

5) Does anyone grow their own ingredients for soaps?? I love agriculture and gardening and would ultimately like to have a plot which I use to produce the highest grade organic ingredients, and naturally this would help with marketing because my customers would know I have complete control of the ingredients and really put my heart and soul into my soaps production...

6) does anyone buy bulk essential oils?? what is the largest quantity you would want to buy to use before it went bad but still be cost effective?

7) anyone care to explain superfatting? or should i wait on that one being that its a little advanced for a noob?

8) Ive noticed that there are a few different strains of eucalyptus and their oils...which one is best to use in soapmaking??

9) when purchasing coconut oil what type should i buy if I was going to combine with olive oil (i am aware that they have different grades with different melting points.. and that people use a variety of different ones depending on their methods/ingredients...) is there a specific type that works the best or the best when combined with olive oil??

10) anyone live in florida that could help me source some bulk oils that are close??

Thank you for any input!! I really appreciate...Im so excited and I can't wait to make my first batch but I want to make sure that I know what im doing before I try it to minimize the potential for mistakes (or at least have an idea of how to correct them if I do make them because i know that these can be the best learning experiences)

Is there any basic recipe someone could give me just to try the process of soapmaking (lets say a 1lb batch)..i just want to see it in action because I am a visual learner.

Ian T

) how do you know if your soap has spoiled??
spoiled what?2) has anyone tried to make their own essential oils?

3) If I were to infuse oil with lavendar flowers (or other plant matter) and strain it would the scent carry through in the soap??
Usuallymine doesnt, but it does come through in my lotions

4) Has anyone ever tried using wheatgrass in soap?? does it have any benefits when used on the skin?? I know it works wonders when you juice/drink it and it has a huge amount of beneficial nutrients...
No I havent but try it..experiment

5) Does anyone grow their own ingredients for soaps?? I love agriculture and gardening and would ultimately like to have a plot which I use to produce the highest grade organic ingredients, and naturally this would help with marketing because my customers would know I have complete control of the ingredients and really put my heart and soul into my soaps production...
I havent but yes people grow their own herbs, some goats for their milk..

6) does anyone buy bulk essential oils?? what is the largest quantity you would want to buy to use before it went bad but still be cost effective?
Preference and how much you are willing to spend.

7) anyone care to explain superfatting? or should i wait on that one being that its a little advanced for a noob?
I think you should wait until after you make your first batch. you should also read miller's soap site, and purchase the soapmaker's companion
Ive noticed that there are a few different strains of eucalyptus and their oils...which one is best to use in soapmaking??
same...read up on it
I use the steam distillation one... i didnt think it was that many differences.

9) when purchasing coconut oil what type should i buy if I was going to combine with olive oil (i am aware that they have different grades with different melting points.. and that people use a variety of different ones depending on their methods/ingredients...) is there a specific type that works the best or the best when combined with olive oil??
Coconut 76 some use 92...the difference is the 76 melt at 76 degrees the 92 is at 92 degrees

10) anyone live in florida that could help me source some bulk oils that are close??
Sorry, Im in California. But you can always check www.mangobutter.com for close suppliers

thank you kindly for the reply...regarding if the soap has spoiled i have heard that the oils can occasionally turn rancid, how do i know?? i heard something about orange spots however the soap would still be ok to use...just not as good for looks.

I have susan miller cavitch's "the natural soap book" which I am about half way through...also...quick update. went out today and bought some things to experiment with....my supplies so far:

-40 oz lye

-24 fl oz safflower oil

-101 fl oz extra virgin olive oil (berio)

-1.25 gallons of canola oil

-31.5 fl oz of coconut oil

-digital scale (5 lb capacity...i know its tiny but to get me start its ok, dont mind weighing in small incriments)

-parchment paper

-candy thermometer

-stainless steel 6qt bowl

-2qt pyrex pitcher for mixing lye+h20

-playtex dish gloves

-silicon rubber square cake pan for a mold

- and last but certainly not least.... a hamilton bach SB

Grand total: $122

how does that sound to start??? now on to looking for a simple recipe, ive got some 'orange sweet' EO from this company oshadi (i think thats how you spell it) and i think im going to try to grind some orange rind as well as this EO for my first batch and see how it turns out...

Extatic!!

IanT

the orange spots you are referring to are dos ( dreaded orange spots ).

it can be caused by things other then rancid oils ( you'll know if they are rancid).

some have problems with the canola in large amounts contributing to dos. humidity can also affect it.

google for some soaping charts for oil properties, shelf life of oils etc.

may i say while that book is good for visuals and the basics, if you choose a recipe out of there please run it and any others you may come across thru a lye calculator, there is always that chance of a typo. always pour lye into your liquid.

you may want to use some solid soybean ( crisco) in the mix too, store brand is fine and cheap. or lard or beef shortening if you aren't opposed to them.

you have quite a few softer oils ( olive will make a rock hard bar it will just take some time). to much coconut may make a bar that is drying to the skin.

seeing how eo's are a tad expensive i would do a small unscented batch first just to get the feel of the process. it's been my experience that sweet orange may need an anchor or it will disappear . i'd hand stir to start out with this will give you the feel for the consistancy you want. unless of coarse you are making a bastille your arm might fall off before it traces.

nothing i have said is written as gospel, just my expericence. so

have fun, soap safe. and keep notes.

Latest posts

Back