Non-Oily Facial Moisturizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter has grown up in humid Indiana, but is currently in very dry Arizona. She asked me for a recommendation for a non-oily facial moisturizer. I was away from home (and thus away from my stash of ingredients) and didn't really have the time to research anyway. Does anyone have a recommendation? It could be homemade or commercially made. It could contain oils, but the end feel should be relatively light and non-greasy.

Thanks!

I've been using this and quite like it. I don't do well with oily moisturiser either and so far, this is the least oily I've found
https://www.lorealparisusa.com/prod...er-intensive-anti-aging-day-cream-moisturizer

There is also neutrogena hydro boost but it contains silicone and broke me out so I didn't use it long.

If she is ok with using products with no real ingredient list, there is this from wish.com I absolutely love it and have ordered it multiple times. Takes forever to arrive though since it comes from China.
https://www.wish.com/search/snail face cream/product/5787f0d8c6bfa311716d9d57

Soap Queen has a lovely no oil lotion recipe. But I highly recommend not adding in the Tapioca Powder, it grew mold in my lotion, even though it did not actually show the testing came back with mold listed. I remade and had it tested without the Tapioca Powder and it tested out fine and stills feels really nice.
https://tinyurl.com/y987at66

Another one from Soap Queen Anne Marie Faiola... I've been using this for years, AM & PM. I'm in Colorado which also has a dry climate. S'wonderful! I recently sent a jar to a friend in AZ and she liked it so much she asked me to make some for her to sell during this coming market season. Lasts a long time and you only need a smidgeon for the whole face, neck and decolletage.

http://teachsoap.com/2012/03/21/easy-soap-recipes/

Scroll down to the 5th recipe on the page: Skin Firming Gel.

Thank you, everybody! Such nice things to look forward to trying.

My daughter tried the Avalon Organics product that I'd linked to and found it to work reasonably well, until the other day. She's been experimenting by putting it on only half of her face. One morning she woke up with a red and irritated face :(. Looks like I'll be trying my hand at one of these recipes - whichever one I have the most ingredients for already :).

Another one from Soap Queen Anne Marie Faiola... I've been using this for years, AM & PM. I'm in Colorado which also has a dry climate. S'wonderful! I recently sent a jar to a friend in AZ and she liked it so much she asked me to make some for her to sell during this coming market season. Lasts a long time and you only need a smidgeon for the whole face, neck and decolletage.

I just made some and when at room temperature it remains very liquid. Is this how yours looks?

I just made some and when at room temperature it remains very liquid. Is this how yours looks?
Hmmm. No, not liquid at all. It has a gel-like texture similar to aloe vera gel that glides on easily and firms the skin after it dries. I keep a jar by the bathroom sink and store the rest in a baggie at room temp. I'm wondering if you used too much water?

Hmmm. No, not liquid at all. It has a gel-like texture similar to aloe vera gel that glides on easily and firms the skin after it dries. I keep a jar by the bathroom sink and store the rest in a baggie at room temp. I'm wondering if you used too much water?

I probably have. I have since then found a blog stating that the recipe asks for too much water. I'll do it again with less water. Thanks.

Interesting. Keep me posted, okay?

Well, I made it again with two changes this time:
The original recipe calls for 13oz. water and 1oz. ewax or cetearyl alcohol. The first time I made it, I used cetearyl alcohol. As I mentioned, it stays quite runny and when I rubbed it on my face, it produced the worst soaping effect that I have ever seen. Having said that, once the soaping effect went it left my face very mat-looking which was lovely. Usually, when I use a face cream, my face remains shiny.
Yesterday, I had another go and reduced the water to 10oz and used 1 oz of ewax. This time it thickened nicely but the cream leaves my face a bit shiny. Also, the dreadful soaping effect has gone.
Neither of the two creams have a gel-like texture. The only reason I can think of is that it probably comes from the Crothix I use. I live in the UK and the only supplier I found is the Soap Kitchen. This is what they say about their Crothix Liquid:
"Crothix Liquid is a 45% active liquid version of Crothix...". The INCI name is: INCI: PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate (and) PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides (and) Aqua.
Maybe your Crothix is more than 45% active...

Well, I made it again with two changes this time:
The original recipe calls for 13oz. water and 1oz. ewax or cetearyl alcohol. The first time I made it, I used cetearyl alcohol.
I use Ewax. (Emulsifying Wax NF, which is considered the standard for lotion making.)
Yesterday, I had another go and reduced the water to 10oz and used 1 oz of ewax. This time it thickened nicely but the cream leaves my face a bit shiny. Also, the dreadful soaping effect has gone.
I heat the water portion to 170°F (77°C) and hold for 20 minutes. I lose some of the water this way but certainly not 3 oz. worth. Also, I sub honey for the glycerin. Just a personal preference.
Neither of the two creams have a gel-like texture.
I went back to my file from 2013 and found this link to correct the same problem you are having. One of the pics showed a problem with the gel coming together. This note from my file might help with that: "NOTE: Ewax balled up when added to Crothix and jojoba. Just kept stirring to blend. Has “spongey” consistency. Easy and fun. Feels good on my face."
The only reason I can think of is that it probably comes from the Crothix I use. I live in the UK and the only supplier I found is the Soap Kitchen. This is what they say about their Crothix Liquid:
"Crothix Liquid is a 45% active liquid version of Crothix..."INCI: PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate (and) PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides (and) Aqua.
Maybe your Crothix is more than 45% active...
I use this one from Bramble Berry. PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl tetrastearate, PEG-6 Capric/Caprylic glycerides, water Looks the same to me. There's no mention of "45% active" in the MSDS.

I think I need to make a batch... gotta grab me some spare time somewhere! :cool:

Last edited:

My reply is in the next post =)

Last edited:
Zany, I made the Skin Firming Gel, sent some to my daughter, and kept some to try (of course!). She likes the lightweight texture and its effectiveness at keeping dry skin under control. I like the texture, as well, and how very non-greasy it is. It can work as a lightweight hand lotion, too. I like it enough to make more.

This was the first time I've used liquid Crothix. The completed gel definitely continued to set up over the next 24-48 hours.

Latest posts

Back