Non drying recipe for small silicone molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luebella

Reaction score
Hi :) I am finding that I love a certain recipe. It comes out soft but it hardens to an acceptable level when cured. There is no palm/lard/tallow in it. It is great for loaves but when I try to demold it from the small silicone shaped molds it sticks and is just a soft sticky mess.

I made a batch using palm and it came out of the mold better. I can't remember specifics but it was around 34 percent palm 34 olive 18 coconut 6 shea 6 castor. The only problem is it dries my skin pretty quickly. One wash of my hands and they were visibly dry.

Any ideas for a hard bar in the silicone mold without it being drying? Thanks!

Some things that make soap hard (besides the oil choices): sodium lactate, salt, less water, force gelling & time

I used sodium lactate but next time. I'll do a water discount. Thanks!

This shows the difference with and without sodium lactate [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFI4WlM85SI[/ame]

I just got some in the mail this weekend and can't wait to try it!

I left it for 3 days and it was super gummy and soft, I am going to do a bit more sodium lactate and water discount and see what happens :p

Soaps in individual silicone molds will not gel, unless you CPOP them, so it takes longer than three days to be able to unmold them. If you don't need to use those molds right away, just let them sit. Check to see if they still zap. I'd leave them for a week if you can keep your hands off them for that long. Soap that hasn't gelled will be soft, like clay, and it's easy to dent them when you try to unmold, or have them stick to the mold. It's hard to be patient, but giving them more time will work.

Soaps in individual silicone molds will not gel, unless you CPOP them, so it takes longer than three days to be able to unmold them. If you don't need to use those molds right away, just let them sit. Check to see if they still zap. I'd leave them for a week if you can keep your hands off them for that long. Soap that hasn't gelled will be soft, like clay, and it's easy to dent them when you try to unmold, or have them stick to the mold. It's hard to be patient, but giving them more time will work.

I've had better luck gelling (no oven) with my individual molds than with the loaf mold I just bought. Using a heating pad, an old towel, and an empty container helped me to gel my soap without having to use a major appliance.

I've had better luck gelling (no oven) with my individual molds than with the loaf mold I just bought. Using a heating pad, an old towel, and an empty container helped me to gel my soap without having to use a major appliance.

^^^Exactly.^^^ I also have a small styrofoam chest, and sometimes I put the individual molds in it, along with one of those neck warmer thingies that you heat up in the microwave. Works like a charm, very gentle heat, and the styrofoam holds the heat in.

Latest posts

Back