Non bleeding colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fountains324

Reaction score
I am looking for non bleeding colorants for goat’s milk base. Does anyone have ideas?
Also looking for dark colors that retain their darkness in my opaque base.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

If your base is opaque I'd use mica. They don't have the shimmer in opaque soaps and usually don't bleed (still need testing tho).
However, if you want a super dark soap (like a true black or super dark brown), either use a ton of colorant or go for a translucent basae.

If your base is opaque I'd use mica. They don't have the shimmer in opaque soaps and usually don't bleed (still need testing tho).
However, if you want a super dark soap (like a true black or super dark brown), either use a ton of colorant or go for a translucent basae.
Thank you

Ultramarines and oxides remain dark and never bleed for me. This is an ultramarine pink pigment that I used.

Attachments

• 20201014_084508.jpg
    20201014_084508.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 14
I's not easy getting a truly dark color in TD white opaque soap without it bleeding. Try this: Color transparent base to your dark color. Add white soap til you get the opacity you want. Try a sample. It's the only way you'll know for sure. Good Luck.

I's not easy getting a truly dark color in TD white opaque soap without it bleeding. Try this: Color transparent base to your dark color. Add white soap til you get the opacity you want. Try a sample. It's the only way you'll know for sure. Good Luck.
Thank you
Oxides can bleed. It really depends on how much you add to the soap.
What would you recommend? I'm totally stumped and really need to figure this out quickly. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for the tips. I’m making this week so perhaps I will try it.

Thank you

What would you recommend? I'm totally stumped and really need to figure this out quickly. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of reply. I was traveling and not keeping up with the forum during my travels. So you may not need my answer anymore. All I can recommend is that you follow the recommended amounts from where you purchased.

If you don't have access to the source (sometimes we don't recall or are gifted a product), read this link for using oxides in Melt & Pour soap. In this link search the word oxide and you will find the recommendation of 1/8 teaspoon of most oxides (which leads me to believe it would be less for the shades that tend to bleed, like red) for MP soap.

If you ever do CP soap, this link suggests amounts for oxides, but as you can see, the usage rate in Cold Process soap is higher than the usage rate in MP; also notice the suggestion to halve the amount for reds and browns. In my experience red oxide bleeds profusely unless smaller amounts are used.

Also in my experience oxides DO bleed/migrate within a soap layers/swirls. The claim I see in some places that they don't is not borne out by my own experience, at least with red oxide. I have the soap and photos to support my experience in this, in case anyone wants to see (I have posted about this in the past here at SMF.) But that was Cold Process soap, so I cannot be sure if it migrates within Melt & Pour soap. I have not used Oxides in MP.

Latest posts

Back