Noisy neighbours

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
I put up with tons of noise from my neighbour. His kids have the music on so bad it vibrates through the walls and drives me mad. I put up with it and go out or turn there to on to block it out normally. Today I sent him a text politely asking him to turn it down a little bit, this is only the second one I have ever sent him and both times they were polite. He replied basically saying I was harassing him and to stop it as he isn't noisy very often! If it was only once in a while then I would have clearly let it go, the only reason I text was because I was at the end of my tether. I am now sat in my house crying as I hate conflict. I am frightened to go outside in case I bump into him as my husband works away in the week as I am all on my own.

I feel for you. We have neighbors who lets their kids play music at all hours of the day thats loud enough it you can hear the lyrics and they are a block away. We have no noise ordinance in our town so the police can't really do anything except ask them to turn it down.

I do call the police though, it helps for while and if I really wanted, I could have them cited which would result in a fine. I'd be happier if they could force them to shut the music off.

I don't like confrontation either but unless your neighbor is a angry person, don't be afraid to go out. If you do run into him and he gets nasty, call the police. Next time he is making excess noise, call the police.

I agree with calling the police if things keep escalating. Or at least possibly call your city hall and ask if there are noise ordinances in place that they may be violating, and what can be done about it.
Coming from someone who lives in an upstairs apartment and has a very active toddler, I wouldn't mind it at all if one of our neighbour's asked me to try and be a little more quiet. I bribe our neighbour's with home made cookies and constantly apologize for any noise whenever i see them though, haha.

I would also consider calling the police if it gets out of hand.

But, is it possible that he doesn't know how loud it is on your side? Sometimes, within apartments the sound doesn't travel well but through the joined walls low frequency sounds travel far. Maybe the kids have the speakers against a wall that you are joined by and the sound travels better through that? I lived in an apartment once where I could here every time my neighboor turned on his amp from the vibrations but I could BARELY hear his acutal instrument.

We can call the local council and they have representatives that will measure noise and respond if there is a problem giving out court orders and ASBO's. I don't want to do that as I am considering just selling my house to get away, if I go through official routes then the nuisance will be recorded and my house value may drop. I think I just have to put up with it until we can get away. I am always really considerate and we consigned our sub woofer to the loft when we moved into the house nine years ago so we didn't bother the neighbours. This guy is fairly new and is going through a divorce so basically lets his kids get away with whatever they want to when they are at his house even though he knows he is a pain. He basically replied with, my teenage daughter loves music, she doesn't do it very often so tough ****. Little does he know the full extent of the problem as she just puts it on really loud whenever he is out. I just needed a rant guys so I really appreciate you listening to me!

It sounds like a nightmare situation. He sounds quite angry. Maybe when your partner is back he can explain to him that she puts on loud music when he's out! Good luck sorting it out. It sounds exhausting!

Perhaps you should sit outside with your camcorder and record it when he's gone then show him when he gets home. Tell him I realize you're adjusting and may not be aware of what happens when you're gone, so I recorded it. All I'm asking is to lower the volume a little, not stop listening all together.

Maybe he'll be more responsive if he hears it for himself.

As passive aggressive as I am, I'd retaliate with a little encore myself.. You dont want to turn yours down? Lets see who's system is the loudest.. ;)

Back