No Zap from little liquid spots, what are they?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serfmunke

Reaction score
Hey all, a hot process soap gave me issues, maybe the spirulina? I changed nothing else. Volcanoed like crazy! I salvaged it. Everything after that point went as it should. No zap. So I added my stuff, yogurt, buttermilk, EOS, and threw it into the mold. I cut it about 8 hours later and it turned out fantastic. But upon closer inspection I saw small, shiny, liquids spots so I tongue tested them, nothing. Tastes like soap. This morning I cut one of the larger bars to see if the spots are still there and they are, still no zap. Curious what they could be. I will try the bar in the shower in a couple of days to see if it is harsh.

I have not been on here for a while and I cannot remember/figure out how to post a pic. The pic doesn't show much though.

Any thoughts? The no zap part is what's throwing me off. TIA!

First, I failed to mention this is CPHP, so yes, I added my stuff after the cook.

I suppose it could be sweat, just never had that on the inside of the loaf, appearing after the cut.

I assumed it was CPHP from your description.

To link a picture, you click on the little paperclip in the toolbar of the box you are typing in. It takes you to a window that you click on the "choose file" icon. Then you find your file and open it. Then you open the window with the choose file in it all the way and to the far right there is an "upload" button to click. That's all. I almost never found that upload button, though.

I think the pic is there...and of course it is rotated incorrectly. Anyways, the white spot along the green center is showing, though difficult to see, the shiny liquid. I have white spots in my HP soaps, that is not my concern but the liquid was until it didn't zap. Now I am just straight up confused :confused:

20170114_083156[1].jpg

Last edited:
I think the pic is there...and of course it is rotated incorrectly. Anyways, the white spot along the green center is showing, though difficult to see, the shiny liquid. I have white spots in my HP soaps, that is not my concern but the liquid was until it didn't zap. Now I am just straight up confused :confused:

So you want to keep the big white spots?
We could help you troubleshoot them if you wanted to.

I don't do hp so I'm not much help. I would guess it's some of your liquids added after trace sweating. I would probably let it sit for a few days and see if they are reabsorbed. If not, blot! Since there isn't zap, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

So you want to keep the big white spots?
We could help you troubleshoot them if you wanted to.

PenelopeJane, the white part of the soap don't bother me. Sometimes I discount my water to make more of them, I like the rustic look. I wanted to figure out what the leaky liquid is but it is hard to see in the photo.

I showered with the soap yesterday and my skin didn't feel irritated but it also did not feel as moisturized as I hoped. I may try different HP bar of mine to make sure the feels I get are different or if my head is messing with me. I am also going to make another batch of this recipe and see what happens, if I get the colossal volcano with the spirulina crock again.

I showered with the soap yesterday and my skin didn't feel irritated but it also did not feel as moisturized as I hoped. I may try different HP bar of mine to make sure the feels I get are different or if my head is messing with me. I am also going to make another batch of this recipe and see what happens, if I get the colossal volcano with the spirulina crock again.

Obligatory "Soap doesn't moisturize!" and "Even HP needs to cure!" post :).

For reals, though - I had a soap that was way too harsh (I was still experimenting with different levels of coconut oil), and I forgot about it for about 6 months, and when I tried it again it was way mellower. So, there is something to be said about giving things a proper cure. :)

Latest posts

Back