No water added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapHappyNYC

Reaction score
Noticed the label on a bar of handcrafted soap I received read "no water added" how is this possible?

Found the ingredient list, it uses coconut milk instead of water.

This kind of confuses me. Would there be a problem adding water to something that requires water to be made? There is allot of water in coconut milk. Maybe they started with soap that was already made and didn't add more water??

it is a basic water substitute/replacement. you can use (as stated up above in the 1st reply) milk-goat, soy, almond, coconut , cow. even breast milk [another subject by self ] coffee and tea . it can even be melt and pour as mentioned or even beer .

@ PinkCupcake: OMG, that post had me laughing. Love the "no broken glass" and "100% cement free".
LOL... I'm still laughing. Thanks, I needed that.

I was a little thrown off by the label myself because it's impossible to not incorporate water of any kind and I couldn't imagine an anti-water movement. It claims it's for a creamy and robust lather. I suppose it helps boost sales somehow.

I was a little thrown off by the label myself because it's impossible to not incorporate water of any kind and I couldn't imagine an anti-water movement. It claims it's for a creamy and robust lather. I suppose it helps boost sales somehow.

I think it may be trying to jump on the band wagon, of why pay for water? A lot of things are being marketed now as “concentrated, don’t pay to ship water!”. My hubby and I belong to a program where we buy all our natural cleaning supplies (well most, I still like the way pine sol smells) from an online company and they extremely concentrated.

Or maybe it is just a play to say there are better things in the soap then water. Green Tea, beer, aloe juice, milk, these all have some water content but they also have other properties (if these survive the saponification process is another thing).

Just my two scent.

Maybe to show it's "all" coconut milk, not just a little? When I make milk soap, I use 1/2 water and 1/2 canned milk. The milk is concentrated, but I do feel like I am "cheating" by not using 100% milk.

I prefer to mix my NaOH with water THEN add the milk. Less scorching, less initial stink. I don't think it's cheating unless your marketing it as "No dihydrogen monoxide" added :)

Oooh pamielynn, that last comment set off a light bulb for me! Add milk after lye dissolves in water and cools down a bit! I tried a coconut milk soap, did NOT go well but maybe if I try this it will work better! Thank you!

Oooh pamielynn, that last comment set off a light bulb for me! Add milk after lye dissolves in water and cools down a bit! I tried a coconut milk soap, did NOT go well but maybe if I try this it will work better! Thank you!

I add the milk directly to the oils and stick blend. THEN add the lye mixture.

Can you freeze coconut milk like you would goats milk? If so, that would keep temps down for sure...with no added water! Lol

As for 'no added water'...there are so many labels out there that always make me ask...why? What lead to the person feeling that was necessary?

A good example is the warning on hemorrhoid cream saying not to ingest...hmmm....;)

Latest posts

Back