No trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceyg

Reaction score
HI,
I am a newbie and am having trouble getting my recipe to trace. One batch finally did after about 2 hours. The second batch is not thickening.
Here is the recipe:

21.8 oz olive oil
5.3 oz palm oil
5.3 oz. coconut oil
4.2 oz lye
11.9 oz water
4 t fragrance

Someone mentioned it could be taking longer because of the use of olive oil. Is this a lost batch, or should I give it time. It's been close to 2 hours again with this batch.

Thanks

Are you using a stick blender?

And yes your hardness is 31 so yes...your olive is like 67%
it will take a while for this soap to harden as well.

your lye should have been 2.19
and your water should have been 6.08

your fragrance is always .5 - 1oz per pound

save it...well if it never traces ...no ..

eda: opps..did mine for a 1lb batch :D

Your lye and water looks right for a 2 pound batch. I heard that if it don't trace after a long time, to pour it anyways. If the lye is mixed in good, it has to harden up sooner or later. Warming the batch a little might help to kick start the reaction.

Im sure it will be fine! just think...back in the old days it used to take WEEKS for them to even make the lye solution required to make the soap, I think we are a little spoiled by the speed of things nowadays! The soap would take sooo long to make and wasnt nearly as high of a quality as we are able to produce today (from what we know at least).

(im sure you ll be checking it like every 10 mins like i did...and still continue to whenever I make soap...its so exciting!!)

I tried my first batch last night and didn't notice a trace either after a hour of using a wooden spoon to mix(I actually enjoyed listening to some miles davis and zoning out mixing :shock: ) . Maybe from the lack of experience on my part for not noticing the trace but I did notice the texture change and got a little thicker. I poured it anyways hopefully it works out :?

I'm gonna try another batch tonight though. Good luck and hope it turns out well :p

when it starts to thicken that is trace. after a few batches you'll get better at recognizing it. :)

wooden spoons give that great old timey soaping feel...but i'd recommend a stainless steel spoon or over time you'll end up with a wooden stick! :shock:

I think im a little spoiled ...i started with a stick blender lol

Me too, Ian. I seldom need them with my RTCP method though. When I used to heat my oils and lye solution, I did indeed use them. I have 2, a stainless steel Braun, and a Wally World cheapo.

Paul :wink:

congratulations!!! nice little forearm workout huh?? :lol: :lol: did you just pour it??? happy with the results??? I always make my soap in the wee hours of the morn :)

post some pics and stuff if youve got a cam when you get some time (dont have to tonight..probably going to bed after this post!), i looooove pics :)

Back