No stir Palm in bulk WSP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I placed an order before I injured my wrist for bulk oils from WSP. Now I'd ordered oils from Brambleberry and some other places and thought that WSP would be similar in that the oils would come in buckets but not the no stir palm oil. It came in a box and I open the box and it's a 50lb block of hard as nails palm oil in a plastic bag. When I ordered the smaller buckets of the no stir palm it's always been softer, to where I could easily scoop it with a spoon but this block is insanely hard. Has anyone had an issue with the bulk no stir being hard like this? I can't even pick this block up because of my wrist, I had to just kind of drag the box inside the front door. I was hoping I could just refill my smaller buckets with it so it's easier to handle when I'm mixing up batches but I can't seem to even get into this block. I hate to expose it to any heat because it's just in a plastic bag and I don't want leakage.

I get my no stir Palm from Candles and Supplies and it’s not hard at all. It’s easy to scoop like lard would be. Maybe it got cold? When I put it in the fridge it is hard like a rock. It comes in the 50 lb bag in a box like you described.

Last edited:
My block of no stir from Soapers Choice was definitely not hard. I used a big rectangular stainless steel pancake turner to cut about half of it into chunks that I packed into empty containers without too much effort (but with two functional hands). I have the rest stored in the bag in a cool place until I need it.

I'm guessing it just got pretty cold during shipping. You can set it on a heating pad, turned to low, and that should soften it up without making it super melty.

WSP is in Ohio and you're in Washington...delivery trucks generally aren't heated. Let the box sit in the house for a few days and get to room temp. If it's still hard, head over to your local hardware store and rent a jack hammer. :p

I have bought the no-stir from WSP in buckets in the past, summer and winter, and it's always scoop-able, sometimes in winter did need a couple days to warm up. But....if it is still really hard, maybe someone made an error and you didn't get what you planned on. It has happened before (ask me sometime why I have 5 bottles of witch hazel from WSP when I ordered 5 containers of dead sea salts). It happens. And WSP is fantastic, IME, with fixing errors on their end.

IF that is palm oil and it's not no-stir, you are going to have to melt that whole thing it and stir it, then portion it out to be sure all the stearic acid is distributed. Maybe call them and ask if their no-stir comes in a box, I don't think it does because it would likely melt and could leak thru the bag, saturating the box in transit.

Maybe call them and ask if their no-stir comes in a box, I don't think it does because it would likely melt and could leak thru the bag, saturating the box in transit.

Excellent point. I just checked their website and from what I am reading, even in bulk sizes, it should come in an 'airtight container'. A bag in a box would not qualify. I would definitely call them.

I ordered 50 pounds of no-stir palm from WSP last year when it was on sale. It was shipped in a box. Like others said I would wait a few days to see if it softens but if not I would call WSP. I live in Arkansas and try to order no-stir in the winter because I am afraid of melting in the summer. It is harder in the winter but I don't ever remember it being so hard I would describe as a rock.

The label on the box says Palm Shortening, the buckets I had ordered said No Stir not shortening but I suppose it could be referred to as shortening when it's in a box like this. I've let it sit a few days and it's softer now but not exactly scoopable. I had to use a knife to cut it. Since I'm not certain it's no stir I guess I will melt it down in my giant pot and pour it into the smaller buckets just to make sure that it's all mixed up correctly in case it's just regular palm oil. If it was in a bucket I could use my heat pad to melt it but I don't dare do that with a bag in a box.

Excellent point. I just checked their website and from what I am reading, even in bulk sizes, it should come in an 'airtight container'. A bag in a box would not qualify. I would definitely call them.

Plastic certainly can be an air-tight container. I have used vacuum-sealed plastic bags for packaging food, and other things for many years. The vacuum sealer sucks the air right out and no air gets into the container until I cut it open.

I hate to expose it to any heat because it's just in a plastic bag and I don't want leakage.

As far as leakage of oils when it starts to soften, I have not had that happen. My recent order of palm shortening, which is hydrogenated palm and does not need to be stirred, came in plastic inside a box. The plastic my oils come in is really quite thick and sturdy. I generally get my oils from Soapers Choice, so can't really speak to what plastic WSP uses, but i doubt their packaging is significantly different. And I can also vouch for WSP's very responsive customer service.

If your home is as cool as mine, it could take a few days for the palm to soften up, but if you are really concerned it could leak as it softens, put an extra layer of protection underneath it (a tarp or a large heavy ply garbage bag, for example) while it sits in your kitchen (if you were able to get it as far as your kitchen.) I suspect your kitchen is the warmest room in your house most of the time, and the floor is likely easy to clean, so that's a good location for it to sit. An area rug underneath will provide a bit of insulation if the floor has too much cold air underneath (like when you have a cold cellar below the kitchen).

Another thing you can do to facilitate gentle, yet faster softening, is to put a space heater in the room. As the ambient air heats up, the palm oil will eventually start to soften. Oh, and for now, keep the top of the box open to let in more heat. Cardboard insulates, so it's going to keep the cold inside the box longer than if the plastic encased palm were completely exposed to the warmer air.

So I placed an order before I injured my wrist for bulk oils from WSP. Now I'd ordered oils from Brambleberry and some other places and thought that WSP would be similar in that the oils would come in buckets but not the no stir palm oil. It came in a box and I open the box and it's a 50lb block of hard as nails palm oil in a plastic bag. When I ordered the smaller buckets of the no stir palm it's always been softer, to where I could easily scoop it with a spoon but this block is insanely hard. Has anyone had an issue with the bulk no stir being hard like this? I can't even pick this block up because of my wrist, I had to just kind of drag the box inside the front door. I was hoping I could just refill my smaller buckets with it so it's easier to handle when I'm mixing up batches but I can't seem to even get into this block. I hate to expose it to any heat because it's just in a plastic bag and I don't want leakage.
I also buy the 50lb block and in the summer it is soft. But in colder months it is much harder to scoop into the smaller buckets. I bought a metal ice cream scoop and it helps a lot! I use it for the Shea butter too.

So I used to use an ice cream scoop but better is a clay cutting wire. I just cut the cube into manageable sized blocks. It's much faster, you do it only once. I just put enough in to a bucket and it goes into the crockpot or microwave.
Good suggestion, Rick. I originally bought it to cut thin slices from soap to create rimmed soap, but this idea just made that a 'value added' item.

Latest posts

Back