No sodium citrate; to soap or not?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm torn; I can't remember a time that I didn't use sodium citrate. I packed all these things to make soap on my trip, only to find that I'm nearly out of sodium citrate. How many of you don't use a chelator at all? Our area has relatively hard water - which is why I've always used a chelator. But darn it! I want to make soap! The only citric acid locally contains 2% silicon dioxide.

Last edited:
Oh, these little blips! They are just little blips. You can DO this! Make the soap! This was your planned get-away.

I'd use the citric acid as DeeAnna says.

I have never had sparkling la Croix, so cannot address that part of your question, as I am not familiar with it. What does the ingredient list say?

I'd look for a water source. If a local store doesn't sell distilled water, do they sell water for adding to baby formula? You can use it as it supposedly the same as purified or distilled, with no flouride and fewer if any chemicals (depends on the ingredient list.) The one at Walmart lists Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Bicarbonate & Potassium Chloride. OR maybe use a water substitute. Milk, Vinegar, Goats Milk.

But since another trip to the store is apparently imminent, stop and check on the rest of your supplies for at least the first batch of soap, then make a list.

Can't you stop at a store and get some distilled water? You can use the Sparkling water it is just a tad pricey, I have used soda pop in soap. :D I always use a chelator and as DeeAnna stated I would not hesitate to use the citric acid with the silicon dioxide, it is not going to hurt your soap.

With covid restrictions, and the area I'm in - it's at least an hour and 20 minutes round trips - not counting the actual shopping. Also rush hour. (I'm in the boonies near Ramona)

Oh, these little blips! They are just little blips. You can DO this! Make the soap! This was your planned get-away.

I'd use the citric acid as DeeAnna says.

I have never had sparkling la Croix, so cannot address that part of your question, as I am not familiar with it. What does the ingredient list say?

I'd look for a water source. If a local store doesn't sell distilled water, do they sell water for adding to baby formula? You can use it as it supposedly the same as purified or distilled, with no flouride and fewer if any chemicals (depends on the ingredient list.) The one at Walmart lists Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Bicarbonate & Potassium Chloride. OR maybe use a water substitute. Milk, Vinegar, Goats Milk.

But since another trip to the store is apparently imminent, stop and check on the rest of your supplies for at least the first batch of soap, then make a list.

I know, deep breath! I'm just going to alter my expectations - make 1 double batch with the ingredients I have including the La Croix water (it's reverse osmosis). Then, if my soaping itch isn't scratched - do a little shopping in my travels tomorrow; sightseeing at beautiful lake and ecological preserve.

Last edited:
You are out in the boonies, aren't you? What fun.

I was just reminiscing about my winter trip to the Wisconsin Dells where I holed up for 3 or 4 days and just made soap all by myself with a nice cozy fire and all. It was wonderful.

I know, deep breathe! I'm just going to alter my expectations - make 1 double batch with the ingredients I have including the La Croix water (it's reverse osmosis). Then, if my soaping itch isn't scratched - do a little shopping in my travels tomorrow; sightseeing at beautiful lake and ecological preserve.
Get some aloe juice and use that?
Some beer?

Well that was incredibly satisfying.:dance:

I haven't made salt bars in 3 years. These fo's were great to work with given my tiny space and lack of practice. Daystar Salty Sailor, BB Serenity....which smells heavy on the lilac right now. I wanted pastel colors, but no td with me. Didn't want to spare the iris purple and get gray so used full amount. The other color is NSS carribean. It morphed in the beginning...more green....but now it suits its name.

Thank you all for the help and encouragement!! I really needed this!

Attachments

• 20201123_195911.jpg
    20201123_195911.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201123_195904.jpg
    20201123_195904.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back