No scent to finished soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractorgrl

Reaction score
So my first post on this forum was about my overuse of EO. Now I think I have the opposite problem :confused:

I just finished curing a patchouli + bergamot EO CP soap. 32 oz total oils, 0.3 oz patchouli and 0.64 oz bergamot. This works out to a little under 3% (2.9-somthing %.) After a 6-week cure, the soap has no scent at all. Any idea what could have happened? Thanks!

In my experience, fragrance oils work better for scents, Essential Oils work for the properties of the herb/plant.

I use Patchouli EO, dark Indonesian aged patch, at a rate of 7-8%. Bergamot I usually use at 6%. To me to little is a complete waste of money since my customers will not buy if they cannot smell it and my customers like strong Patchouli. EO's might be expensive but so is throwing out soap that does not sell. Even Peppermint in soap I use at 6%, again, no smell no sale.

I use Patchouli EO, dark Indonesian aged patch, at a rate of 7-8%. Bergamot I usually use at 6%. To me to little is a complete waste of money since my customers will not buy if they cannot smell it and my customers like strong Patchouli. EO's might be expensive but so is throwing out soap that does not sell. Even Peppermint in soap I use at 6%, again, no smell no sale.

I think I'm going to try it again and may use your percentages. Also, now that I'm looking at my recipe, I'm wondering if I was supposed to use 0.3 oz bergamot and 0.64 oz patchouli. I'm thinking I may have gotten my amounts reversed.

I use 6% Dark Indonesian Patchouli and I'm like Carolyn, my customers like to smell it. I don't use a lot of other EO's as my customers prefer FO's. Though I do use a handful or so.

I use 6% Dark Indonesian Patchouli and I'm like Carolyn, my customers like to smell it. I don't use a lot of other EO's as my customers prefer FO's. Though I do use a handful or so.

I would like to play around with FO, but for now I've been giving it away to family and friends and all seem to prefer EO. (Well, they think they prefer EO and seem to think that FO is "bad." Not sure how to convince them otherwise so that I can play with more scents :).) I'm not selling right now, just perfecting my recipes and gifting family and friends.

So my first post on this forum was about my overuse of EO. Now I think I have the opposite problem :confused:

I just finished curing a patchouli + bergamot EO CP soap. 32 oz total oils, 0.3 oz patchouli and 0.64 oz bergamot. This works out to a little under 3% (2.9-somthing %.) After a 6-week cure, the soap has no scent at all. Any idea what could have happened? Thanks!

Is that no scent at all while dry or while wet? Sometimes the scent is rejuvenated in water, not really strong, but it's there.

I second what Theresa said as I've noticed that when I'm using a soap the scent seems to come through more, than when I smell it dry.

I only use 3% so its possibly subtle compared to some but here in the UK we have to have our products safety assessed and that is the max allowed on my assessments, so subtle is how it has to be :)

Is that no scent at all while dry or while wet? Sometimes the scent is rejuvenated in water, not really strong, but it's there.

Some scent is coming through when it is wet, but very light. I actually kind of like it, but if you're looking for a strong scent this is one is not for you. I'll have to keep playing with it. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back