no more CPOP for me!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neeners

Reaction score
So this wasmy attempt at breast milk soap, and for some reason I decided I wanted to try CPOP-ing. Well, that was a disaster!! Oil started seeping all over the place, so I took it out. Oil slick central!!

So then, I decided to try to salvage it by stirring the oil back in while it cooled. Now it looks even worse. I'm going to try leave it alone until tomorrow. I have a fan on it, and keep looking at it, feeling very disappointed at myself.

Anyway, will let you all know what happens tmr. I'd rebatch now but kitchen is being used for superbowl food...

First two pictures of the oil slick, 3rd picture is of the stirred mess...

IMG-20140202-00771.jpg

IMG-20140202-00769.jpg

IMG-20140202-00772.jpg

Oh no, this is for a friend. There's a thread about breast milk soap...

Oh that is just so sad! Hopefully you didn't color it so when you are able to HP it, it comes out looking nice (and not brown because of mixed colors). Your friend may never be able to tell the difference. HOw will you be able to focus on the game? That may be a lame question for some- it's the Superbowl, duh- but I'm not much into football.

I know....I'm pretty sad. I didn't colour it, so its just the overheating I think. Its not as dark as the pictures, and lightening up. I'm not really into football either...I'm more worried about the soap!

I don't CPOP if I have anything delicate in it - like shampoo bars with a lot of delicate additives. Guessing maybe breast milk is delicate too?

Not sure.......but it looks like I'll be doing my first rebatch tomorrow. :( sigh...

I know that CPOP is all the rage now........but....

What happened is basically what happens when you put a batch in the crockpot to HP it. Only half-way.....to the point that it is separating.

I do not understand peoples obsession with CPOP since all it is, is forcing the soap through gel which is accomplished many other ways that would not end in so many people having ruined batches.

Yea....soap and learn, right? I doubt I'll cpop again. Next time I'll just either prevent gel (the recipes r very high OO), or l gel...... At least I get to try my hand at rebatching tomorrow. Silver lining?

I know that CPOP is all the rage now........but....

What happened is basically what happens when you put a batch in the crockpot to HP it. Only half-way.....to the point that it is separating.

I do not understand peoples obsession with CPOP since all it is, is forcing the soap through gel which is accomplished many other ways that would not end in so many people having ruined batches.

Hmmm - I CPOP all of the soap that I want to gel and haven't had any issues yet. And that is more than 30 batches done that way. I think the biggest thing is to watch it closely and be sure to pull it out as soon as gel is complete.

I have found that people have to figure out what works for them for the oven. I have used the oven but it's taken me a long time to figure how to do it for my recipe and all. People have their own ways, times and temperatures. It's not my preferred method to assure gel but it can come in handy in certain circumstances.

Yes, I learn more and more everyday. Constantly experimenting and tweeking in the eternal search for perfection ;)

IMO opinion it goes like this.....

Prevent gel, saponification is complete in what, about 2 days, maybe 3?
Gel soap by insulating, gel complete in 12-24hrs.
Gel soap by applying extra heat because of cold conditions, like heating pad or a previously warm oven, gel complete in 4-8hrs.
HP, gel complete in a couple of hrs.
......all times are estimated of course, but close of my recipes. Some with extra sugars are faster....

So I just don't get why lately people are convinced that doing a CPOP, HP or even sticking their regular CP bars in a dehydrator makes them cured faster than if you just make a CP and stick it on the curing shelf. The only difference in the gel time is merely hrs or at the most a day or two.

Not that I haven't done a CPOP with a purpose myself though (like individual silicone cavity molds that I KNOW are a bugger to get gelled). I just don't view that as being any closer to a cure than most other methods.

That was a bit of a rant that probably has nothing to do with your intentions on giving CPOP a try. It does serve a purpose for me in certain cases for sure.

I think a lot of times maybe ovens might be off by even a few degrees and it throws things off. When I use it I also stay right there in the kitchen. Tricky but when I do those individual molds I have to do it!

I CPOP every one of my batches. I do it for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only...1...to ensure a complete gel and 2...so I can unmold and cut my bars sooner because I have NO patience. They still remain on my cure rack for 4-6 weeks depending on my recipe. It by no means shortens cure time. I tried the non gel soaping route one time and was almost committed to the looney bin! The sooner I can get my soap out and cut so I can admire and smell it for a month the better! :)

I CPOP every one of my batches. I do it for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only...1...to ensure a complete gel and 2...so I can unmold and cut my bars sooner because I have NO patience. They still remain on my cure rack for 4-6 weeks depending on my recipe. It by no means shortens cure time. I tried the non gel soaping route one time and was almost committed to the looney bin! The sooner I can get my soap out and cut so I can admire and smell it for a month the better! :)

Lol @ the looney bin! Seriously! I have to force myself to be occupied so I don't stand there staring at the soap waiting for it to be cut. Most of my recipes are on the firmer side. But the ones that aren't are a lesson in patience for sure. I am glad to hear you still cure for up to 6wks. I'm not kidding when I say I have been reading where people sell their CPOP then dehydrated soaps after 2 weeks. I don't ever say anything because there is just no point usually. They are on their train and not getting off.

That little rant above was unusual for me. Maybe its a full moon :crazy: lol.

I always end up with an oil slick when I try CPOP. Even if I pull it out as soon as it gels. I use sugar in every recipe, in my lye-water, so maybe that contributes to extra heat, but if I don't CPOP, I rarely get gel at all, with the same recipes. Weird.

Looks like in your 3rd pic, that it set up ok, although it looks like it's been HP at that point, from mixing it while it gelled. Looks like when I did a 98% CO, 2% Cocoa Butter recipe, and poured it in the little individual molds, and watched it gel in front of my eyes in seconds. Turned completely into clear liquid and started running out of the molds. lol I had to pour it all back in the pot, let it finish gelling, and then mash it back into the molds, and it looked a lot like your 2nd and 3rd pics.

If it hasn't completely separated, and just has a small layer of oil (like 1/8inch or less), I just leave it alone and the oil eventually sinks back in, although it really slows things down, since it takes about 3 days to unmold, and another couple days before cutting, and another 2-3 days before all the oil has absorbed. Still makes wonderful bars (like my peppermint swirled one) but it's too much frustration, so I pretty much avoid CPOP now, and either CP completely, or HP completely.

I love to CPOP and think about 50 of my 80 or so batches have been done that way. My reasons are also being impatient and ensuring full gel when I use honey or items like EO's that will heat up but maybe not pull full gel on my counter. And I'm too lazy to do blankets and heat pads. Lol

I've learned that I need to go to a thicker trace and really make sure my fragrance is mixed in well. I don't think I've ever had separation if I do this.
The two times I did was when I had a peacock recipe that I kept thinner. Major separation although it was mixed pretty well with all the color mixing too.
When I used it again I mixed longer and had no problem. Just had to work faster!

Oh and I do 170 preheat, then open door for a bit then put soap in. Return in am and it's done. :)

It was still an oily disaster this morning, so I rebatched (first rebatch...yay!). Its still really dark, so I'm guessing there's been some overheating at some point.... The pic is freshly molded. Hopefully I salvaged it. Guess only time will tell...

IMG-20140203-00774.jpg

I added just a little bit of extra oil b/c so much had leaked out in the oven. no extra water. I may cut today as it was really hard yesterday...

Latest posts

Back