No more ButterEZ

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerelife

Reaction score
I just bought the last 8 ounces of ButterEZ that Lotioncrafter had available.
Per the Lotioncrafter website:
"We've been working hard to get our manufacturer to custom manufacture this product for us since it was discontinued. Unfortunately, we have not succeeded. Therefore, ButterEZ is being discontinued and we have limited stock available."
:headbanging:

I just found out over at the Dish that the Herbarie is low on stock of Natrabutter, and that when it's gone, it's gone. This is bad/sad news. :(

IrishLass :(

Making Cosmetics has a similar product but has to be purchased in bulk at 55lbs for over $500 with an inci of Caprylic/Capric/Myristic/Stearic Triglyceride. Butter EZ Inci is Caprylic/Capric/Palmitic/Stearic Glycerides so really do not know if it will act the same. I have 2 products that Butter EZ is a pretty critical ingredient. I just cannot justify $25 per lb + shipping for Natra butter. As they told me at Making Cosmetics in theory their product should work the same but they do not really know and no samples are available. As I told them I would do a co-op if I could get a small sample to try. No go

Last edited:
I've never used ButterEZ, but I just stumbled on this:

Softisan 378

Has the same INCI as the stuff from making cosmetics, and they have a 2 oz size.

And it's REALLY expensive ($16 for 2 ounces), so probably won't work for you. . . .

I've never used ButterEZ, but I just stumbled on this:

Softisan 378

Has the same INCI as the stuff from making cosmetics, and they have a 2 oz size.

And it's REALLY expensive ($16 for 2 ounces), so probably won't work for you. . . .
I think I am going to order some to try, if it works well I will see if I can get a co-op going for the bulk amount at Making Cosmetics

While I am at my parents starting Sunday, I am going to call a local distributor of Softisan 378 and see what it takes and how much to purchase Softisan. Not sure they will supply the little guy but it would be nice to be able to pick it up. If it turns out to be a feasible venture I will post in the Co-op section. Would love to cut out the over $50 shipping charge from Making Cosmetics

Others will know better (I haven't used ButterEZ), but I don't think it's quite the same stuff.

I was loitering-about on The Dish and saw that there is a discussion about ButterEZ. If anyone has access, you should check it out as there is some talk about a possible DIY solution.

Alternately, has anyone tried or thought about Shea Butter Glycerides? I haven't read anything in the manufacturer's literature about it being used to prevent graininess, but based on the fact that it's "[c]omposed of the glycerides of vegetable fat" and can be used as a replacement for shea, I thought it might be worth looking into.

It's an interesting product (even thought it's expensive!). I have some that I've been using in everything (lotion, emulsified body butter, shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap). It's self emulsifying (I.E. you can make a lotion with just SBG, water, and a preservative), and as a result, seems to make a nice SF for liquid soap. I made a batch of lip balm with it instead of shea, and I really like the texture. Only time will tell if it prevents the graininess.

If anyone has used it or come across it, I would love to know where. Making Cosmetic's stocks it, but its expensive. I've only found 1 other supplier, and while they were much cheaper than MC, their customer service was so horrific that I won't even offer them bad advertising. . . .

Last edited:
Is butterEZ a powder or like a liquid type product? I ask because someone in a destash group on facebook is selling ezbutter for $2 something an ounce and it's powdered

No butterez is not a powder. It is more like a soft butter. This one works very similiar but the price is ridiculas compared to what the actual bulk price is. http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/Caprylic_Capric_Triglycerides/464 I may go back to work on purchasing a bulk amount and doing a co-op. Not sure and certainly no promises since there is a lot on my plate. But this product although different from butterez is nice.

Carolyn, have you seen this thread over at the Dish? In it, 3bees~1flower was experimenting with mixing different ratios of stearic acid and FCO in the hopes of replacing ButterEZ in her lip balm. In her last experiment she did 9% stearic to 3% FCO. In March she reported good initial results of no grains after 2 months, and someone just recently asked her (about a week or so ago) if things were still good after all these months. She said she would check the next time she is in her lotion kitchen. That was on the 17th of this month. Still waiting to hear back.

IrishLass :)

Has anyone found a substitute for Natrabutter/ButterEZ? I searched at IngredientsToDieFor and nothing showed up when I did a search under Captex SBE, Natrabutter, or ButterEZ. Is there any more information available about the stearic acid/MCT homemade version? Thanks!

Back