No more big batches for me!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
I know I said this after the 13lb batch, but today I made one that's bigger than my usual 7 or 8lb batches, but just 10lbs, so not huge. OMH, with goat's milk as half the liquid, some finely ground oatmeal, and some honey. My basic recipe with those additions, something I've made many times before. I made two big logs, three Crystal Lite containers, and one small individual silicone mold. I put the logs in the preheated oven and turned it off, put the Crystal Lite containers in a small, styrofoam chest to gel, and left the individual mold on the counter. After about an hour, I checked the logs, and they were starting to gel, checked after about another hour, and whaaaaaaat.....they're swimming in oil! It looks like about 1/4 inch or more on top of both the logs!!! I'm afraid to move them, I don't want to spill that oil all over the place, so I just left the oven door open and I'm praying for a miracle.

What I can't understand is that the small individual mold on the counter looks fine, and the Crystal Lite containers all gelled, but no oil slick on top. What the heck is up with that? This never happened to me when I made smaller batches. I think it's fate trying to tell me to slow down and go back to what works for me.

I'm going to drown my sorrows in some pea soup.

crying.gif

Maybe the extra mass and heat? I can't cpop as that happened every time I tried it when I first started. Tried again not too long ago and bam. Same thing. So sorry that happened.

Ive never tried cpop but i was taught to wrap in a wool blanket, they keep the heat in very well. I make 2 8lb batches at the same time of the same recipe. I pour into two large 35" log molds cover them with cardboard and wrap in the wool blanket. Not sure if you've ever tried it this way before but I thought I'd share. Sometimes it helps know there's more than one way! Shoot, i even want to know if there's a better way to my process!

Maybe the extra mass and heat? I can't cpop as that happened every time I tried it when I first started. Tried again not too long ago and bam. Same thing. So sorry that happened.

Really? And in almost ten years, this is the first time this has ever happened to me! I'm not going to look again until morning.....still hoping for a miracle.

Ive never tried cpop but i was taught to wrap in a wool blanket, they keep the heat in very well. I make 2 8lb batches at the same time of the same recipe. I pour into two large 35" log molds cover them with cardboard and wrap in the wool blanket. Not sure if you've ever tried it this way before but I thought I'd share. Sometimes it helps know there's more than one way! Shoot, i even want to know if there's a better way to my process!

I used to cover the soap with towels when I first started making soap. But I didn't always get gel all the way to the edges. I've been CPOPing for almost ten years, and never had this problem before, so I don't know what the problem is, but losing a batch that big is going to hurt a lot. This time when I say I'm done with big batches, I really mean it! Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that you were just craving pea soup so bad that your eyes tricked you into seeing oil puddles that weren't really there, and by morning your batch will be fine.

I used to cover the soap with towels when I first started making soap. But I didn't always get gel all the way to the edges. I've been CPOPing for almost ten years, and never had this problem before, so I don't know what the problem is, but losing a batch that big is going to hurt a lot. This time when I say I'm done with big batches, I really mean it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh ok, I've never gotten partial gel with wool blankets. Well haven't yet anyways!

I had some huge issues when I transitioned from making 12 pound batches to 24 pounds (96 bars at a time - 8 loaves). I lost a couple for various reasons, mostly due to splitting for coloring too soon.

One batch had to be tossed. It ended up with lye pockets.

A second one, I finally decided to shred and use as confetti. It sucks, but at least it isn't a total loss this way.

Hang in there.

This is very similar to what happened to me when I tried CPOP.
And in almost 10 years of CPOPing, this is a first for me.

I had some huge issues when I transitioned from making 12 pound batches to 24 pounds (96 bars at a time - 8 loaves). I lost a couple for various reasons, mostly due to splitting for coloring too soon.

One batch had to be tossed. It ended up with lye pockets.

A second one, I finally decided to shred and use as confetti. It sucks, but at least it isn't a total loss this way.

Hang in there.

It does suck. That's a lot of oil and FO if I have to trash it. I'm going to start another thread with pics to see what the general consensus is. I've never had to throw away a batch this big. It would almost help to know I'm not alone, but I feel just as badly for you or anyone else who loses a batch this big.....or even a small one. I guess maybe I was due for a fail, I've been very fortunate over the years, but I still think it has to do with the bigger batches. I had such a good run when I stuck to 7 or 8 pounds. How in the world did you ever manage 24 pounds??? And to lose one that big......I don't even want to think of it!

3531a34faafcd3d5ab8749a94f57319e.gif

"I made two big logs, three Crystal Lite containers, and one small individual silicone mold."

If you did them in this order...my guess is that you stirred a few more times after you poured the logs, and those extra stirs were the difference.

I'm sorry that happened.... it is a waste. :(
I guess learning curve in soapmaking never ends.
I have to second who ever said it's to do with big batches.
More soap more heat more overhearing and spliting. Especially if you used milk.
I gyess you've been really lucky so far. :)
I often make few small loaves together with few individual soaps.
I don't CPOP they just sit on the bench but what happens basically proves whole theory.
Individual soaps almost never gel while loaves do, sometimes even without much help, as in wrapping up in blankets etc.

An idea to consider, when making large batches is to use larger molds and make a batch per mold. That way you are mixing colors and lye on a smaller scale. For example my 35" log mold makes a batch of 125oz oils. I make two identical batches back to back

My cpop only did that once, when it got way to hot! Hopefully you can rebatch.

Well, there was honey in it, which would contribute to overheating, but it's a recipe I've used many times before without problems...although we all know that when it comes to soap, there's always a first time! :smile: As of today, there's no more floating oil on top of either of the logs, but they're all mushy and I'm beginning to think my best option is to get them out of the molds into a crock pot and hope for the best. I'd try leaving them longer, but I really need the molds, and I don't think they're going to harden up enough anywhere in the near future, enough to get them out of the molds cleanly. Crock pot, here we come!

Well, there was honey in it, which would contribute to overheating, but it's a recipe I've used many times before without problems...although we all know that when it comes to soap, there's always a first time! [emoji2] As of today, there's no more floating oil on top of either of the logs, but they're all mushy and I'm beginning to think my best option is to get them out of the molds into a crock pot and hope for the best. I'd try leaving them longer, but I really need the molds, and I don't think they're going to harden up enough anywhere in the near future, enough to get them out of the molds cleanly. Crock pot, here we come!
What about popping them in the freezer for a bit? They might come out in one piece at least. Or if the molds are too big - is it cold enough where you are to leave them outside?
Oh soap, you always keep us guessing.

Last edited:
Back