No-Melt Emulsified Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across this YouTube tutorial from HumbleBee & Me. As some members mentioned a problem with melting body butters, I thought it was worth a look.

I made this one last week. I had to sub out one of the ingredients (the PolyAquol); the texture didn't come out quite the same as Marie's did but it has now firmed up a bit and is quite nice.

I came across this YouTube tutorial from HumbleBee & Me. As some members mentioned a problem with melting body butters, I thought it was worth a look.

so that's how they make body butter; they stickblend it! i've never done that, usually i just melt everything n stir w a chopstick i can't wait to try that for my next batch only 13% fats in that recipe, omgi never mix oils & water beeswax for emulsion butter for thickness salt eos everclear alcohol for preservative n scenti use this stuff alot and like to use very best ingredients i can afford @ like 90% fats + 10% ish beeswax depending on if it's for summer or winter i make it harder to melt+ salt EOs alcohol dang maybe it'd be way better for the lack of a quick stickblend
also in 2nd vid she says i needs 15% kaolin clay or some arrowroot powder to cut greasiness, refrigeration or freezing during cooling phase, & that i should whip room temp butter, hmm

Last edited:
I get that she's trying to help people create a non-greasy, not-too-hard, high-butter product.

However, I find the term "emulsified body butter" a bit misleading. To me, oil/butter+ water + an emulsifier = lotion.

Granted, it is an extra-thick lotion, but still not a true body butter, which is traditionally an anhydrous product. Or is there something I'm missing?

yea i think a lotion is actually defined as an oil + water mixed w an emulsifier but i've been walking around calling my stuff a lotion for years when i guess apparently it isn't there's a ton of good stuff in those videos geez i've never tried freezing or refrigerating my lotions cough i mean body butters during the cooling phase she says increasing clay or starch 10%-20% cut greasiness- that would be swell;i usually just wipe off greasiness w water no soap bamboo washcloth but 20%-40% clay imparts a new luxuriance? Really? 40% clay seems like alot

Tip #3 expensive bbutters video 3:50 she says adding positively charged or cationic ingredient to a neg charged and anhydrous (i had to google that word) mixture was interesting; is beeswax a cation or an anion? What are some natural cations i could use i wonder since i don't care if it doesn't work as well as the synthetic cations? Fats are generally neg charged, i take it. I've never considered the electrical charges of my ingredients. So acids are usually or always anions? What about EOs and alcohol?
to be positively or neg charged cation or anion means it has to lose or gain an electron and be an ionic state that wants to revert back into a balanced substance by finding a partner of opposite charge to form an ionic bond with, which is why we have to keep a lid on the eos, lye & alcohol?

Last edited:
We've had this discussion in the past regarding scrubs that contain an emulsifier and fat but no water. As others are pointing out, this product is not actually "emulsified" as it comes in the jar. It's more correctly an "emulsifying" body butter, as in the product will become emulsified after water is added by the user.

But I doubt people care about the semantics. :)

But I doubt people care about the semantics. :)
I do because it's not correct and there are plenty of people who will sue over it.

Calling a solid mixture of butter, oils and beeswax a "Lotion" Bar is a bit of a misnomer because it is a solid as opposed to thick, smooth liquid preparation, but it's the use thereof that allows for its name. But with 'emulsified'...that's different...it implies that you have taken two (or more) ingredients that normally would separate and created a stable mixture from them.

And given the ingredients in the Raspberry Mint No-Melt Body Butter, it's wrong to call it a 'body butter' as there are no actual 'butters' in it

Well, it's not really possible to have a non melting body butter because even the emulsifying agent melts, it just depends on the temperature. I use candelilla wax in my lip balms because it has a high melting point so it's unlikely to melt in our intense heat. But I always tell people not to leave it in the car anyway. I have, however, added emulsifier to my sugar scrub and shampoo to hopefully help with the heat issue. I hope it works for you. I just don't like the "it will never melt" thing. Of course it will melt. It just depends on the temperature.

Latest posts

Back