No Lauric acid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwolf

Reaction score
I was thinking of making a non lauric acid soap using mango seed butter and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I also plan on using neem and lard to help firm it up. My question is that of course leaving out LA oils it leaves the recipe with almost 0 bubbly and cleansing. I wanted to know if it would actually work out as soap.

A non-lauric acid soap is basically just a soap without the super-cleansing oils (CO & PKO). My shampoo bar that I made based off of Lindy's recipe is like that, and also has mango butter. Technically, both castile and the normal lard/tallow-based peasants soaps are lauric acid-free soaps, and they were used for cleaning for centuries.

All soap will clean and lather. You won't get the big fluffy lather that CO & PKO are capable of generating, but there will be bubbles. You can up the lather by using 5-10% castor oil and adding lather-boosters. Sugar is the most common booster, and I've found that citric acid boosts lather too for me since I have hard water. Be sure to up the amount of lye slightly to balance out the citric acid-6g lye to 10g citric acid (for 1kg/2lb soap) is a good start.

A non-lauric acid soap is basically just a soap without the super-cleansing oils (CO & PKO). My shampoo bar that I made based off of Lindy's recipe is like that, and also has mango butter. Technically, both castile and the normal lard/tallow-based peasants soaps are lauric acid-free soaps, and they were used for cleaning for centuries.

All soap will clean and lather. You won't get the big fluffy lather that CO & PKO are capable of generating, but there will be bubbles. You can up the lather by using 5-10% castor oil and adding lather-boosters. Sugar is the most common booster, and I've found that citric acid boosts lather too for me since I have hard water. Be sure to up the amount of lye slightly to balance out the citric acid-6g lye to 10g citric acid (for 1kg/2lb soap) is a good start.

I love the idea of trying citric acid, I live in a hard water area too, and it's difficult to get good lather. If you don't mind me asking, when would you add the citric acid?

Back