Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen Korkmaz

Reaction score
I have tried 5 different soy waxes. Get a strong cold throw but no hot throw on my melts and candles. Tried essential oils and fragrance oils cured them for days but still nothing. Heating wax and pouring at exact temperatures. Running out if ideas now. After spending over £60 on wax im ready to give up. Can anyone advise me on what im doing wrong or why this is happening?

I don't work with soy, but what would help is knowing what % of Fo/Eo to wax ratio you are using, what wicks in the candles, if it's straight soy or a blend (straight soy can take up to 10-14 days to cure before getting a hot throw), and what jars you are using. All of that information will help in diagnosing any problem you maybe be having. 60 is not bad to spend on wax when testing. I think I had several cases of wax invested before I was completely happy with my candles.

I don't work with soy, but what would help is knowing what % of Fo/Eo to wax ratio you are using, what wicks in the candles, if it's straight soy or a blend (straight soy can take up to 10-14 days to cure before getting a hot throw), and what jars you are using. All of that information will help in diagnosing any problem you maybe be having. 60 is not bad to spend on wax when testing. I think I had several cases of wax invested before I was completely happy with my candles.
I make wax melts mostly. Candles are made in glass jars with pre waxed wicks

The principle is the same - instead of wicks, how are you melting? Electric warmer, tealight etc?

Its hard to diagnose without knowing wax, fragarnce percentage, cure time etc.
I use 10% oil to wax. Burn in a ceramic burner with 4 hour Tealight. I normally cure 7 to 10 days

You should be getting a decent throw but it may depend on the brand of wax as well as the quality of the fragrance - EO generally burn off more quickly and are less strong (IMO) but 10% fragrance load should produce a decent scent once its melted and warm.

I'm using fragrance oil in most of them. Melting on a double burner and I have tried several different companies for my wax and tried a few different types. Is the a better type to use if so where would I buy it from

Hi Karen-honestly you probably won't get much of a scent throw from any EOs in candles. For most EOs the molecular structure is usually too small to use in a burning candle. The molecule is so light that it goes straight to the burning wick. And since your scent burns up you don't get to smell it.

As for using FOs at 10% that should give you a decent scent throw for a lot of scents. But there are a lot of scents out there that may not give a good scent throw even at 10%. You have to also make sure that the candle is getting warm enough to vaporize the scent so that you can smell it. Sometimes incorrect wick size can be the culprit.

But since you are not getting decent scent throw even using melts my guess would be that the scents are just too weak.

I'm using fragrance oil in most of them. Melting on a double burner and I have tried several different companies for my wax and tried a few different types. Is the a better type to use if so where would I buy it from

Honestly with the little bit of info we are getting from you, it's hard to diagnose exactly what is going on.

You are using wax - okay, what kind of wax - there are several types of wax - paraffin, soy, palm, parasoy, etc., and within each category of wax, there are different blends. The kind and blend of wax is important.

You are using a pre-waxed wick - okay, what kind? Same with wax, there are many different types of wick - cotton core, zinc core, flat braid, Eco, RRD, LX, CD, CDN, CSN, etc., - and then once we nail down what type of wick you are using, the size is going to matter too. Some wick series work better with certain types of wax, and then on top of that, you need the right size wick for the container you are using. Too big or too small of a wick will result in no throw.

You are using 10% 'mostly' fragrance oils - okay, what type of fragrance oils? Are you getting them from a supplier or from a Hobby Lobby type of store? Quality matters, and if you aren't getting throw in melts OR candles using 10%, that tells me there is something off with the quality of fragrances you are using.

With more information from you on what you are actually using, we will be able to give you better advice for exactly what is going on with your application.

I have tried 5 different soy waxes. Get a strong cold throw but no hot throw on my melts and candles. Tried essential oils and fragrance oils cured them for days but still nothing. Heating wax and pouring at exact temperatures. Running out if ideas now. After spending over £60 on wax im ready to give up. Can anyone advise me on what im doing wrong or why this is happening?

How many days are you curing? If you are using pure soy, you need to cure at least two weeks.

I do think that the issue is the quality of FO that you are currently using. The cheap ones are usually watered down and therefore, they will not have a strong hot throw. Soy gives out a slower throw; you get a more lingering smell.

Back