Niacinamide as ingredient

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivai

Reaction score
Hello,

First time post in this forum, not very long reader (a year plus). Nice to meet you all.

Before i post i tried to search to make sure the question is not repeated. I recently come across this ingredient called Niacinamide (vitamin B3) which appears to be very good for the skin.

However i dont see anyone talk about this in cold process soap. Is it because it wont survive the saponification ? Has anyone ever tried to integrate niacinamide in CP soap ? What's your take ?

Regards
R

My take is that soap isn't on the skin long enough for any ingredient to do any good for the skin.
I doubt the vitamins would survive the lye either.

Its recommended that if you want benefits from a certain ingredient, use it in a lotion or serum so it actually stays on the skin.

It is added to cosmetics, but soap is a wash-off product. Very few people have time to slather soap onto the skin and just leave it there to absorb. Besides, lye would most probably alter any and all beneficiary effects of any vitamin.

Personally, I prefer to take my nutrients internally where they will benefit more than just my external skin. Most vitamins benefit internal organs as well. That is not to say I won't use some leftover luscious food as a facial mask when so inclined, but for the most part ingestion is my first choice.

Thank you Obsidian & Earlene.

It does cross my mind that it probably wont benefit much because its a wash off product. I stumble across a page in google search that says Niacinamide PH is about 6. I dont think the lye is going to like it or maybe we wont have soap at all.

Warm regards
R

Latest posts

Back