Next Attempt At Marble Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are gorgeous!
Thank you! I do find it easier to do the marble pour in a slab mold rather than a loaf mold (I only say that bc you mentioned trying it in a loaf mold).

I just can't believe that it's so hard - much harder than it looks to get the desired effect. Maybe I need to pretend that I don't care how it turns out? Or tell the soap batter, "Now, don't turn out looking like marble today, ok?" 😄

I made a small slab mold but I've not used it b/c it makes so much. But I don't have to fill it to the top... thanks, think I will try that.

My first marble soap (post #3, above) nailed the colors for Breche de Vendome marble... but not the marble pattern. My second try was just the opposite - got a nice marble effect in the pattern, but some of the tan batter (carob powder) morphed to a pinkish color, so it doesn't look like my sample pic of Avenza marble. Sigh.

Also, once the pour started, the tan batter thickened really fast and wouldn't pour well into the pot for an ITPS. I tried spoon-swirling it but wasn't happy with how it was looking. I really thought it was going to fail, so I did pretty swirls on the top to make myself feel better (first pic). But just like the first time, when I flipped over the slab, behold, something marble-ish appeared (second pic). So I cleaned up a few bars (third pic) and am trying to decide whether this will be my entry.
View attachment 47949View attachment 47950View attachment 47951
That top is gorgeous (and believe me I don’t over praise!!!)
You didn’t cut it off did you? I’d just do a whole soap with plain AC and finish it like that. Beautiful.

Personally I prefer the gold marble that “didn’t turn out” as you expected to the white marble. The gold one is beautiful.

That top is gorgeous (and believe me I don’t over praise!!!)
You didn’t cut it off did you? I’d just do a whole soap with plain AC and finish it like that. Beautiful.

Personally I prefer the gold marble that “didn’t turn out” as you expected to the white marble. The gold one is beautiful.
Thank you for that encouragement, @penelopejane! I also prefer the gold marble over the white, which is so blah to me. But it fits the contest rules much better than the gold one does.

I did keep the gray-black-gold tops of the white marble. It just doesn't show in the pics I took for the Soap Challenge. ;) It's kind of like having a reversible sweater or something - two completely different looks in one bar! I may do another slab as you suggested, with the grey swirled batter all the way through, and the gold and black on top. We shall see if I can recreate anything similar. Isn't that always the challenge?😁

Back