Newest Favorite Slow Trace Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my newest slow trace recipe and I love it. It almost traces to slow but gives you oodles of time to play. I poured most of my batches the last 2 days at very light trace, actually closer to emulsion and they are going to be in the mold a couple of days. They were gm soaps so I did not gel

41% Lard
20% Canola Oil HO
15% Tallow
7% Coconut Oil
7% PKO
7% Avocado
3% Castor
3% superfat
33% Lye Concentration could most likely go a higher lye concentration
I add EDTA and BHT
2 tbs sugar ppo

Last edited:
How's the final hardness - I imagine very hard! Probably don't even need sodium lactate.

It is a nice long lasting soap when cured out. I never add sodium lactate to my soaps. We estimate approx 30 showers from a bar of my soap. With a 33% lye concentration it is extremely slow tracing and could probably go a higher lye concentration. If you gel the soap it will still cut the next day. The ones I did not gel I let in the mold for 2 days and cut on the third day.
I corrected the numbers above. Yesterday was one of those days

Last edited:
Alternatives to HO canola include olive oil, HO safflower, and HO sunflower. The closest of these three oils to HO canola would probably be HO safflower, but I'd use either of the other two without hesitation if I couldn't find HO safflower.

Look for "good for frying/sauteeing" or "high temperature" or, if you're lucky, "high oleic" marked on the bottle. Or you can decide from the nutrition label if the oil is high oleic -- see http://classicbells.com/soap/highOleic.html

Avocado oil and rice bran oil are also options, but don't match as closely to the fatty acid profile of HO canola as the first three.

Thanks for the recipe, Carolyn. I "think" I have canola oil in the house. If I do, it is probably just the regular stuff, not the HO. Will that have a negative effect on the hardness? (I've got ROE if it's just a DOS thing.) I haven't soaped with canola at this point. I'm one of those no-palm peeps, can I just add extra lard and/or tallow to make up the 7% for the PKO? Thanks!!

Thanks for the recipe, Carolyn. I "think" I have canola oil in the house. If I do, it is probably just the regular stuff, not the HO. Will that have a negative effect on the hardness? (I've got ROE if it's just a DOS thing.) I haven't soaped with canola at this point. I'm one of those no-palm peeps, can I just add extra lard and/or tallow to make up the 7% for the PKO? Thanks!!

PKO is more similar to coconut oil than lard or tallow. But...I have never used tallow since I can't buy it locally already rendered. So I'm not speaking from experience on that. As to the canola question, I think the regular v. HO is mostly about DOS. As DeeAnna suggested, olive, HO sunflower and HO safflower all are a good substitute for HO canola.

Regular canola will have more linoleic fatty acids, so yes it would affect the softness and would lend to faster rancidity.

ANd as Dibbles pointed out the PKO can be changed out for coconut or babassu.

I have not had regular Canola affect the softness, but you could up the tallow and lower the canola a tad. Use coconut oil in place of pko. As mentioned before I do not have problems with canola either ho or regular but the HO would be far better or sub Olive Oil, since it is a slow tracer. I use 0.3- .05% bht in soaps now because it works better for me than ROE. Stopped my lardy DOS in it's tracks

Alternatives to HO canola include olive oil, HO safflower, and HO sunflower. The closest of these three oils to HO canola would probably be HO safflower, but I'd use either of the other two without hesitation if I couldn't find HO safflower.

Look for "good for frying/sauteeing" or "high temperature" or, if you're lucky, "high oleic" marked on the bottle. Or you can decide from the nutrition label if the oil is high oleic -- see http://classicbells.com/soap/highOleic.html

Avocado oil and rice bran oil are also options, but don't match as closely to the fatty acid profile of HO canola as the first three.

Thanks DeeAnna.

Latest posts

Back