Newest addition to my home

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently became the carefiver for a new pet. Its name is Skeeter, and is a crested gecko. I'm not sure if it is male or female, it is only 6 months old or so. It might be a couple more before it is big enough to tell.

My plan is to make a planted vivarium to house it as soon as it is big enough.

The last pic is to show it 'fired up'. Geckos change color when exposed to various evironmental conditions. High humidity is one.

Here is the fired up pic

1453955596090.jpg

1453955609972.jpg

1453955912445.jpg

Cool! How much bigger will Skeeter get? Does he/she eat bugs, veggies or both? I've never met a gecko in real life!

It should not get more than 45 grams, and 6 to 8 inches.

They mainly eat fruit, I buy a powdered food that you mix with water. You can feed occasional insects, about once a week. Females esp should get calcium dusted bugs in case they decide to lay eggs.

Skeeter has not been interested in bugs when I have tried, so for now it is just the powder changed out every other day.

These guys like lower temps mid 70s in the day and as low as 68 at night. They don't need special lights. I do have to mist the cage every night to up the humidity, but its really easy to care for.

Here is one of it staring at me while clinging to the wall of his cage.

1453958491119.jpg

Adorable. Now you have me wanting critters again. I still have all my Chameleon cages just in case I get the urge. At one time I have a planted Vivarium with a waterfall and mister housing a breeding pair of Peacock Day Geckos. They were beautiful and the babies were precious. Have fun with your new addition.

Awesome pet!

I am currently co-owner of a 100 gallon reef tank with the following critters:

Rose (Grade B) Bubble Tipped Anenome (BTA) hosted by 2 false perculas (clown fish, think Nemo's parents)
Green BTA hosted by a Maroon clown fish that is aggressive against anyone sticking a hand in the tank
Pink Tipped Anenome (who wanders all over the tank)
Purple Tube Anenome (who has, by far, the worst stings. I have the marks to prove it.)

And for those that don't know, anenomes are animals, not plants. We feed them krill or brine shrimp.

Assorted corals
One yellow tang
One Domino Damselfish (Dotty is her name)
One Dalmation Mollie
A boxing crab
A decorator crab
A Sally Lightfoot crab
Two hermit crabs
A tiger conch
A couple of shrimp that we rarely see.
Assorted snails that help keep the algae down.

Awesome pet!

I am currently co-owner of a 100 gallon reef tank

Wow. That is impressive. I have always wanted a coral aquarium - I am not a fish person. They just seem like a lot of work.

Skeeter is so very cute. My daughter had a gecko when she was young.

These little buggers are supposed to live 12 - 15 years. I have recently decided to pick up another one from the same breeder. But she won't ship in this weather - so I have a couple months to get ready.

Here is a link to his page on her site.

http://jbscresties.com/midway.jpg

So cute! Look at the feet curling upwards, ready to use as suction cups:mrgreen:
I love tiny things like that. Lucky you:)

I love cresties. Mom breed them for a few years and I've kept my fair share. What are you feeding? I have a nearly new bag of http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/pange-fruit-mix-complete-crested-gecko-diet.html that needs a new home if you want it. I've had it for awhile but its been in the freezer the whole time, my geckos loved it.

I am feeding Pangea! I have some of the complete with insects (it is the newest formula) and a bag of the one you linked as it is what JB feeds. I would happily take it off your hands!

I have no plans to breed. But they are so fun to watch, and Skeeter is such a jumpy little imp. haha

Back