Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGale

Reaction score
Hi,
I used to make soap with my grandmother in her front yard. I had a small soapmaking business in the mid 70s and have started dabbling with melt and pour and am going to do Cold Process after I have a chance to do a little shop this weekend. I will be 65 in April and am retired, but toying with the idea of starting a (very) small business. I live near Portland, Oregon with my husband (who is from Australia) and our tuxedo cat, Elsie. Right now we are sharing an apt with my adult twin daughters, but will be moving soon. My husband works for Nike. I also crochet and dabble in watercolors.

Welcome.gif

I will be 65 in April and am retired, but toying with the idea of starting a (very) small business.
I made my first soap at age 60 in 2003, mostly self-taught at that time. I needed a hobby, not a "business" -- been there; done that -- too much stress! I soap to maintain my sanity and because it's cheaper than therapy! I've been at it for 20 years now and it never ceases to "take me away" like those old Calgon bath commercials.

I was determined that my hobby would support itself. And it did. In 2004 I joined an online Forum with incredibly generous and helpful mentors to whom I will be forever grateful. For the first 4 years, I sold soap and other bath & body products at my annual garage sale, making $350-$500 annually -- enough to buy supplies for the following year. Thus, the vicious cycle began.

Later, I was approached by members on the Southern Soapers Yahoo Group (now defunct) to make soap for them to sell, which I did for 10+ years. The money was good. I went into production mode for the first 9 months each year to stock summer/fall farmers markets and seasonal holiday events. I retired from that in 2017 when demand grew and it became "W-O-R-K". I promised myself that when it got to that point I would stop. I will always be grateful to the owner, Kelly Bloom, for the strong leadership she provided to all the members of that group, including me.

I wish you all the best, wherever soapmaking takes you!

HAVE FUN! :computerbath:

Hi,
I used to make soap with my grandmother in her front yard. I had a small soapmaking business in the mid 70s and have started dabbling with melt and pour and am going to do Cold Process after I have a chance to do a little shop this weekend. I will be 65 in April and am retired, but toying with the idea of starting a (very) small business. I live near Portland, Oregon with my husband (who is from Australia) and our tuxedo cat, Elsie. Right now we are sharing an apt with my adult twin daughters, but will be moving soon. My husband works for Nike. I also crochet and dabble in watercolors.
Welcome aboard!

I made some Melt and Pour soap. It was a good test run to figure out my layout (my kitchen is small) and to remind myself that I can do this..

Attachments

• 20230209_165124.jpg
    20230209_165124.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Back