Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elinapink228

Reaction score
Hi all! Excited to make friends on here and get some helpful tips and insights. I have started making some massage bars and soaps. First attempt came out great but all other attempts have been fails. It would crack when un-molding. (Lotion bars)
I’ve found some good info on here and I will start with a few and see how it goes from there.
HAPPY TUESDAY ❤️

Hi and welcome!

We'd love to see photos of your first attempts, and if you start a thread in the appropriate place, I'm sure someone will be along with advice in due course. 😊

I will start taking photos moving forward. Thank you. I just made one with
Beeswax
Mango butter
Sweet almond oil
Jojoba oil.
I’ll post a pic of it in about an hour after it’s done being in the fridge 😬

Hi all! Excited to make friends on here and get some helpful tips and insights. I have started making some massage bars and soaps. First attempt came out great but all other attempts have been fails. It would crack when un-molding. (Lotion bars)
I’ve found some good info on here and I will start with a few and see how it goes from there.
HAPPY TUESDAY ❤
Welcome to the forum! I am all about lotion bars! My ingredients are similar to yours. I've never had one break. I use 1/3 each of beeswax, butter, liquid oil(s). I really like using mango butter. For the soft oils I like jojoba, meadowfoam seed oil, sweet almond oil or a combo to create 1/3. I pour into silicone molds and leave at room temperature for 2 hours. The neat thing about lotion bars is you can always re-melt and tweak your ratios if necessary.

For more help on lotion bars, post in the forum called Bath and Body Forum . I don't know what type of soap you make but there's a forum for beginners, lye-based (cold process and hot process), and Melt & Pour. Photos can go Soap Showcase & Photo Gallery and just so you know, photos are mandatory! :) Good luck!

Welcome.gif

Welcome to the forum! I am all about lotion bars! My ingredients are similar to yours. I've never had one break. I use 1/3 each of beeswax, butter, liquid oil(s). I really like using mango butter. For the soft oils I like jojoba, meadowfoam seed oil, sweet almond oil or a combo to create 1/3. I pour into silicone molds and leave at room temperature for 2 hours. The neat thing about lotion bars is you can always re-melt and tweak your ratios if necessary.

For more help on lotion bars, post in the forum called Bath and Body Forum . I don't know what type of soap you make but there's a forum for beginners, lye-based (cold process and hot process), and Melt & Pour. Photos can go Soap Showcase & Photo Gallery and just so you know, photos are mandatory! :) Good luck!
Hi, I'm new to trying to make lotion bars, and I wanted to add arrow root powder (or cornflour) to make them a little less greasy feeling, but when I pour them to set all the powder settles at the bottom?? Any ideas where I'm going wrong? How do you get it to stay evenly through the bar? Many thanks

Hi, I'm new to trying to make lotion bars, and I wanted to add arrow root powder (or cornflour) to make them a little less greasy feeling, but when I pour them to set all the powder settles at the bottom?? Any ideas where I'm going wrong? How do you get it to stay evenly through the bar? Many thanks
Welcome to the forum and good to meet another lotion bar maker! I wish I could answer your question but I have no experience adding power. When I want less greasiness, I add more beeswax, and mango butter absorbs quickly.

I am going to suggest that you start a brand new thread in this forum, click on Bath and Body Forum . I suggest that because no one else will see your question on this thread. The only reason I saw it was because you quoted me. There are many super talented and knowledgeable folks in the bath and body forum and you will get a ton of support. See ya on the other side!

Welcome to the forum and good to meet another lotion bar maker! I wish I could answer your question but I have no experience adding power. When I want less greasiness, I add more beeswax, and mango butter absorbs quickly.

I am going to suggest that you start a brand new thread in this forum, click on Bath and Body Forum . I suggest that because no one else will see your question on this thread. The only reason I saw it was because you quoted me. There are many super talented and knowledgeable folks in the bath and body forum and you will get a ton of support. See ya on the other side!
Thank you for your kind reply

Thank you for your kind reply
Please take a moment to go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself, especially your level of experience making bath and body products. Repeat what you said in your post above and anything else you care to share. 🤔

Once we know more about you, it will make it easier for us to help you on your Soapy Journey. 😁

As @Zany_in_CO said, I up the bees wax to keep my lotion bars from being greasy. I use Coco Butter in mine, I find a harder oil makes for a well absorbed lotion bar.

I am the odd-ball that hates beeswax in lotion bars and lip balms because I find over time the bars will become sticky and gooey, so I prefer Carnauba or Candelilla Wax with Cocoa Butter, Illipe or Kokum butter.

Back