Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessica Murray

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!
I'm brand new to candle making, and just got my starter kit in the mail today! I'm so excited to find a community in which to share my adventures and seek advice. (I know there's plenty of advice on the internet, but talking to people who actually know what they're doing is most welcome!)
I do have one (probably silly) question. If I decide I like this enough to sell some of what I make, how does that work with fragrance suppliers? Am I required to put their name on my candles? Can I change the name of the scent? Is this something I need to contact them directly about? Ok, that was more than one question, but I searched Google and all I got was links to suppliers! If anyone has a direction they can point me in, that would be fantastic!
Thank you in advance, and I look forward to getting to know everyone!

First of all, make your candles with your starter kit, make more candles and more candles. You have to get the method of making them down pat and not even think of selling, that should be the last thing on your mind. So don't worry about the fragrance names, you have a long way to go.

I agree with Relle. It's going to take a whole lot of making and testing. There have been a lot of changes with waxes. Everyone is different on how it has to be wicked and how much fragrance load to use etc......I know of several candle makers that it has taken well over a year to find the right wax, wicks, FO's etc...... it also takes a lot of money to do it.

Sounds like I'm in for an adventure! I know what my subbing money will be going to this year, lol!
So, do you have any ideas about what to do with candles that don't turn out? Just toss them or is there a way to reuse them?

It depends what you mean when you say don't turn out. What that means could be anything. It's not something that can be determined without knowing how it was made, wax used etc and what was done for it not to turn out. You might be able to make wax melts, but that depends on the wax.

Hi, everyone!
I'm brand new to candle making, and just got my starter kit in the mail today! I'm so excited to find a community in which to share my adventures and seek advice. (I know there's plenty of advice on the internet, but talking to people who actually know what they're doing is most welcome!)
I do have one (probably silly) question. If I decide I like this enough to sell some of what I make, how does that work with fragrance suppliers? Am I required to put their name on my candles? Can I change the name of the scent? Is this something I need to contact them directly about? Ok, that was more than one question, but I searched Google and all I got was links to suppliers! If anyone has a direction they can point me in, that would be fantastic!
Thank you in advance, and I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Just to answer the naming question (I Third the testing!) You can name your candle whatever you want unless your fragrance supplier says otherwise. You need to make sure what you are using is a "raw ingredient" (Crafter's Choice, for example). Avoid using copyrighted names and always check to see if a name is copyrighted already (Yankee Candle, BBW, Lush, ect tend to copyright some very common names like "Winter") I put the name of the fragrance in my online listings along with a breakdown to make things easier on the shopper.

Latest posts

Back