Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevvy

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I made my 1st M&P soap yesterday. It turned out alright.
My problems were with measuring the base to fill the mould. I was short in my measurements. And didn't fill the mould all the way 2 top. Lets just say the receipe said to use 1 cup of base. Is this when it is still chunky???? Cause i did this and I was short. And while I was waiting for it to cool so I could put in my Ess and Frag oil it looked like it was starting to set in the Pyrex Jug. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Paul, those two are pros when it comes to M&P.

I've never done M&P however it might be more accurate to work in weight type measurments (ounces or grams) rather than using a measuring cup style measurment.

GOOD LUCK
soaping is a lot of fun.....

Hi and welcome. :) And I agree, those two mentioned would be the ones to ask. I haven't done MP for about a year and my head has been stuck on CP...

Anyway, if it says a cup, I do believe it would be a cup MELTED, not all chunky because the space between the chunks are taking up room that, when melted, won't be full. Did that makes sense? Hmmm

I agree it might help if you do it in weight...

Usually when I made mine, while I waited for it to cool, it would get a film on it as it cooled, I just would stir it back in, that's how I knew when to add my Fo's and EO's.

Hope that helps some!

measurement

Thanks. I will try and measure when melted. I would like to try the CP method but I will wait until I have made more M&P so I get some kind of idea how to make soap.

Re: measurement

bevvy said:
Thanks. I will try and measure when melted. I would like to try the CP method but I will wait until I have made more M&P so I get some kind of idea how to make soap.

M&P and CP soap are two completely different processes. Sorta like comparing apples and toyota trucks.

If you eventually want to CP soap, why not read up, ask questions and jump right in feet first.

Try this:

Fill your mold w/ water, pour that water off into a measuring cup & see what you have got example 3oz.

Grab 2 pyrex cups

Melt a large qty of base (more than 3oz for this example) in 1 pyrex cup.

When it is melted pour 3oz of melted base into the second pyrex cup.

Add your fragrance, etc.

If it begins to thicken, zap it for 20 seconds or so.

You should have the same amount as a liquid as you do as a solid but for some mysterious reason, that is not always the case. Doing it this way, you are measuring the liquid *volume* of the mold & matching it to the liquid*volume* you are preparing.

You do need also to take into account for the fact there will be some base left in the pyrex cup around the edges. For this reason I would always make up a little more than I need. Keep an ice tray handy. If you make up to much, don't fret, just pour it into the ice tray to use as a travel soap or a free sample.

Hope thi helps!

You could also weigh it as faithy suggested. 1 cup would be 8oz by weight(give or take a smidge). It's still part of the is the weight & volume the same mystery. It should be prety close htough.

Again Faithy is right, M&P and CP have nothing to do with one another, that is like saying I want to practice flying a kite before I learn to roller skate. They are 2 very different animals. Some people enjoy making both.

Tabitha said:
If you make up to much, don't fret, just pour it into the ice tray to use as a travel soap or a free sample.

When I CP soap, I make my recipe just a little larger than my mold will hold. The reason is this exactly. The extra I pour into smaller 2 oz size molds, to which I'll get about 5 of these per batch. Then I use them as free gifts for my buyers. Or to give to family and friends or they make great soaps for the bathroom to be put out when guests come over. And I hide the regular bar that is at all the sinks, that might not be as purdy to look at.

Now that I have reread the original question, looks like all you were *really* asking was should the soap be measured while solid & chunked or when melted. My answer was a little long winded when I all you needed to know was "melted" :oops: .

thanks

Thanks. To you both. I will try the two pyrex dishes and have a ice cube tray handy for any extra left over. I'll give it a go later, and let you know.
:D

Well looks like Tab answered your questions. Sorry I have been in the kitchen all day finishing stuff!!

Oh by the way...Welcome to our forum

Latest posts

Back