newbie would like to start making soap in the next few days

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janine

Reaction score
Hello from Australia been reading bits and pieces about soap making for the last month feeling the need to make some SOAP....
l have all my tools and safety gear oils lye ect....
My ingredients l have for making cold process SOAP making
100% Australian extra virgin olive oil
Organic virgin coconut oil/Australia
Palm oil
Almond sweet oil/Auroma..
Castor Oil..
Shea butter/Auroma
Castor Oil..
l have Auroma fragrance oils 8 flavors...
l'm looking to make a hard bar with cleansing and moisturizing and not drying to the skin with a nice lather..
l'm happy being a newbie just to use 3 of these ingredients...
l have a 1.2 kilo mold l have a formula l used on soap Calc but think maybe to many ingredients bieng a first time....
a-jpg.29865

Can anyone please give me any advice much appreciated

Hi Janine,

Welcome to the forum!

You could make a lovely soap with those oils, nice first choices!

The cleansing is an odd one, you will see that olive oil comes up with zero cleansing (which is obviously not correct) and some calculators also say it's not hard (which is also not correct, in the end, but is applicable to start with). This is worth knowing so you don't worry too much if your cleansing number is lower than the "recommended" amount, when you are using a lot of olive oil :)

A couple of useful videos:
Newbie’s “Stick Blending to Emulsion” (Newbie from this forum made this :))

And this is a good read:
What advice would you give to your beginning soaping self?

Happy soaping! :)

Last edited:
Welcome Janine! I'm new to soaping and loving it. Such a great creative outlet. My favourite recipe so far is mostly olive, palm and coconut, sometimes I add a bit of castor, or cocoa. I've also used sweet almond or avacado oils. I like making small batches as a beginner, than if something doesn't go as planned I don't mind as I'm not using tons of ingredients. I love my 1 lb molds.

A good recipe to start with is olive/palm/coconut/castor 32%/32%/32%/4%
It makes a hard long lasting bar and is a lot of people’s favourite.
The try 100% OO
Then try the first recipe and substitute avocado or almond for the coconut.
You might want to look at New Directions for a supplier of oils at a better price.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back