Newbie with questions....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrmt820

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to soap making. Just bought a little glycerin kit a few days ago, which I thought would be a good way to start. I've already made some soap, and I'm hooked! But.....I have a "few" questions.

1. Is there a way to smooth (polish?) the soap, especially the back side and the edges?

2. Do I spray the rubbing alcohol in the mold just before pouring (so it's wet), or do I spray and let it dry before pouring?

3. Some suggestions on web sites to buy quality oil scents? The scents that came with the kit are, not surprisingly, cheapo and perfumey. I really love vanilla, but I like a true vanilla scent, not a cheap, perfumey vanilla.

4. What is a good and attractive way to wrap the soaps besides Saran Wrap?

I would really appreciate any help. And I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks much. Liz R.

lrmt820 said:
Hi, I'm very new to soap making. Just bought a little glycerin kit a few days ago, which I thought would be a good way to start. I've already made some soap, and I'm hooked! But.....I have a "few" questions.

1. Is there a way to smooth (polish?) the soap, especially the back side and the edges?

2. Do I spray the rubbing alcohol in the mold just before pouring (so it's wet), or do I spray and let it dry before pouring?

3. Some suggestions on web sites to buy quality oil scents? The scents that came with the kit are, not surprisingly, cheapo and perfumey. I really love vanilla, but I like a true vanilla scent, not a cheap, perfumey vanilla.

4. What is a good and attractive way to wrap the soaps besides Saran Wrap?

I would really appreciate any help. And I'm sure I'll be back with more questions!

Thanks much. Liz R.

I can help you with a few of them:

1) you can use a beveler to angle off the edges and then use felt gloves to shine the bars up a bit , put them on your hands and rub the bar to buff it up :)

4) tissue paper or homemade paper and strips of recycled cloth are awesome :)

Try a little rubbing alcohol on one of the bars and see if that does the job. (Like with a cloth or paper towel.) Don't get carried away because it could dissolve your soap.

Hi Liz!

QUESTION #1:

A. To smooth and polish, I use rubbing alcohol and an old pair of panty hose. Also- if you don't have a beveler (as IanT suggested), a potato peeler works pretty good too.

Question #2:

A. The only times you need to spray alcohol is #1- on the top surface of the soap just after you pour the soap in the mold (it helps deflate those pesky air bubbles that lay on the surface); and #2- in between layers if you are making a layered soap (it helps the layers to adhere together so that they don't come apart when the soap is unmolded).

You don't need to spray the naked mold itself. What I do when making MP, or glycerin soap is to very lightly coat the mold beforehand with a little bit of mineral oil to help the finished soap come out of the mold smoothly.

QUESTION #3:

A. There are many wonderful places on the net to get quality scents for soapmaking, Here are some of my personal favorites:

The Scent Works
Majestic Mountain Sage
Daystar
Oregon Trails
Wholesale Supplies Plus
Sweet Cakes
Bitter Creek North
Bitter Creek South

They all have quality oils and great service. Just make sure that they specify that the scents you want are 'Soap and/or Body safe', as some scents are only safe for candles.

QUESTION #4:

A. What IanT said, and also Kraft Paper, shrink-wrap, decorative wrapping paper, a simple bow tied around your naked soap, tulle fabric and a bow, etc.. The possibilities are endless!

HTH!
IrishLass :)

Re: Newbie with questions

Thanks so much for all of your replies and help. I really appreciate it. I have so much to learn, but now I know where to come for good advice. I can see soap-making can be really addictive!

Thanks again.

Liz R.

Ditto IrishLass! :wink: I use a pair ladies hose and alcohol. Spritz them with the alcohol, put the hose over your hand and rub until smooth and shiny.

Paul :)

Soapmaker Man said:
Ditto IrishLass! :wink: I use old ladies hose and alcohol. Spritz them with the alcohol, put the hose over your hand and rub until smooth and shiny.

Paul :)
Does this work with CP or just MP bars??

1. Is there a way to smooth (polish?) the soap, especially the back side and the edges? By misting the wet soap w/ alcohol you should get a smooth back side. Afetr the soap is set (since we are talking about M&P) you can just run your finger along the edges of the bar & your body heat will smooth the edges.

2. Do I spray the rubbing alcohol in the mold just before pouring (so it's wet), or do I spray and let it dry before pouring? I would not spray alcohol nto the mold or use any oils, etc to prep the mold for M&P. In my experience it will affect the smoothness of your finished bar.

wholesaelsuppliesplus.com is my fav

4. What is a good and attractive way to wrap the soaps besides Saran Wrap? Ian mentioned tissue or fabric but I do not think he realizes you were talking about M&P. M&P will stick to anything like that & cause a huge mess. You do want to make sure however you wrap your soap it is airtight to prevent shrinkage. Glycerin soap pulls moisrure out of the air too, so if it is not wrapped airtight you will end up w/ moisture beads all over it. Cello bags work well

Lane said:
Soapmaker Man said:
Ditto IrishLass! :wink: I use old ladies hose and alcohol.Paul :)
Does this work with CP or just MP bars??
I'm picturing Paul dressed up in old lady's hose and spritzing his soap with a plant mister full of alcohol. :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Paul, did you hit that poor old lady on the head to steal her stockings? ;)

Lane, I've used rubbing alcohol to gussie up my CP bars for photo shoots. It works fine and evaps quick. Try one bar, what have you got to lose? (One bar.)

BTW I'm making a light box!!! That's why no pics from me today. Tomorrow will be bettttteerrrrr! :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back