Newbie with first soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean you want it to smell like Coast, or is there some other quality that you're wanting to duplicate?

I ask because I asked a question about finding FrangranceOil that smelled like Irish Spring, etc, and the consensus was that the FO was expensive enough to not justify just going out and buying some bars - even through Amazon...

While I use only EssentialOils I understand there are some amazing FOs out there, but I also understand that (just like EOs) it's best to find them on sale - and not buy them off Amazon unless it's a brand you already know well.

Here's the SMF forum about FOs, and a recent thread that might be helpful. Of course, if you're not talking about FOs, then disregard - LOL:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fragrance-oil-review-chart-link.47182/post-876268https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/struggling-with-getting-started-with-fragrance-oils.82801/
Keep us posted on your soaping adventures! It's always a thrill to see someone's first soap.

Welcome, welcome! I have not done a cost analysis of my soap versus brand names. What I will tell you is that my skin (notoriously rashy for decades) along with my family's have never been healthier, and I have saved a small fortune on prescriptions, ointments, and lotions. Store bought soap now just feels harsh. You won't look back! I do not spend a fortune on my hobby. Utensils are all from thrift stores, dollar stores, and Craigslist. My oils and butters are nothing fancy or expensive, most bought from grocery stores. (I splurge on expensive oils to make lotions and potions that do not involve lye). I do use essential oils which can be pricey and I look for sales from trusted soap supply companies.

I'll just share that for me it was helpful to start with simple recipes that did not involve color or scent, just to get familiar with the steps and process. Then I moved on to mono-colored and mono-scented soaps.

Keep us posted!

Welcome. The list of ingredients for Coast soap is as follows: (SODIUM COCOATE* SODIUM PALM KERNELATE* SODIUM PALMATE* SODIUM TALLOWATE*)","WATER","GLYCERIN","TALLOW ACID*","COCONUT ACID* ","FRAGRANCE","SODIUM CHLORIDE","PENTASODIUM PENTETATE","TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE","TITANIUM DIOXIDE","ULTRAMARINES","CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN"]}]

IMO, the ingredients to add to your soap, from the list will be, in plain terms, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, tallow, water, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines, Chromium Hydroxide Green and fragrance oil. Of course you will need sodium hydroxide. You add a little glycerin if you desire; but as glycerin is a natural byproduct of soap making, I wouldn't bother as it can soften the soap and too much will make it sticky.

Do you mean you want it to smell like Coast, or is there some other quality that you're wanting to duplicate?

I ask because I asked a question about finding FrangranceOil that smelled like Irish Spring, etc, and the consensus was that the FO was expensive enough to not justify just going out and buying some bars - even through Amazon...

While I use only EssentialOils I understand there are some amazing FOs out there, but I also understand that (just like EOs) it's best to find them on sale - and not buy them off Amazon unless it's a brand you already know well.

Here's the SMF forum about FOs, and a recent thread that might be helpful. Of course, if you're not talking about FOs, then disregard - LOL:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fragrance-oil-review-chart-link.47182/post-876268https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/struggling-with-getting-started-with-fragrance-oils.82801/
Keep us posted on your soaping adventures! It's always a thrill to see someone's first soap.

Yes, I want it to smell like coast soap. My wife was aghast at the money I spent on a soap hobby(I've spent MUCH more in the past on CRAZIER things) so I asked her what she liked in Cost soap? She said mainly the smell so thats why I'm starting with it. btw I bought a coast soap scent from indigo fragrances

on past crazy's( I bought 2/ A-4 jet drop fuel tanks to make a paddleboat for the local raft race. $800 ea drivertrain broke half-way through race. Sold them for $1500 each. Not too bad but about broke even with all else I did.)

Welcome. The list of ingredients for Coast soap is as follows: (SODIUM COCOATE* SODIUM PALM KERNELATE* SODIUM PALMATE* SODIUM TALLOWATE*)","WATER","GLYCERIN","TALLOW ACID*","COCONUT ACID* ","FRAGRANCE","SODIUM CHLORIDE","PENTASODIUM PENTETATE","TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE","TITANIUM DIOXIDE","ULTRAMARINES","CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN"]}]

IMO, the ingredients to add to your soap, from the list will be, in plain terms, coconut oil, palm kernel oil, palm oil, tallow, water, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Titanium Dioxide, Ultramarines, Chromium Hydroxide Green and fragrance oil. Of course you will need sodium hydroxide. You add a little glycerin if you desire; but as glycerin is a natural byproduct of soap making, I wouldn't bother as it can soften the soap and too much will make it sticky.
Thanks for all the ingredients in coast soap!! HOWEVER I just plan on making a soap that "smells" ike it. ;-)

Welcome, welcome! I have not done a cost analysis of my soap versus brand names. What I will tell you is that my skin (notoriously rashy for decades) along with my family's have never been healthier, and I have saved a small fortune on prescriptions, ointments, and lotions. Store bought soap now just feels harsh. You won't look back! I do not spend a fortune on my hobby. Utensils are all from thrift stores, dollar stores, and Craigslist. My oils and butters are nothing fancy or expensive, most bought from grocery stores. (I splurge on expensive oils to make lotions and potions that do not involve lye). I do use essential oils which can be pricey and I look for sales from trusted soap supply companies.

I'll just share that for me it was helpful to start with simple recipes that did not involve color or scent, just to get familiar with the steps and process. Then I moved on to mono-colored and mono-scented soaps.

Keep us posted!
Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
I want to make it like coast soap so my wife will be justified somewhat at the cost of my hobby.

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but artisan soap making is going to be more expensive than commercially produced. For what it cost you to produce ten bars of soap, the company that makes Coast can produce a hundred. And once you make that first batch of soap, you're going to want to make more...and more and more. I have easily spent $3000+ over the last two years. That's just for ingredients. There is probably another grand in equipment and molds.

Perhaps, then, this thread would be of interest - it's about "Irish Spring", but perhaps still relevant:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...e-for-fo-that-smells-like-irish-spring.81552/
I agree with @Zing in keeping it simple for the first few batches. However, as far as bar ingredients, I think @lsg makes a very good point with her suggestion for what you might eventually use to make your "Coast" dupe. If your bride likes Coast, she might also like properties about Coast besides the scent - which could be most closely achieved with the insight offered by lsg. Just a thought. :)

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but artisan soap making is going to be more expensive than commercially produced. For what it cost you to produce ten bars of soap, the company that makes Coast can produce a hundred. And once you make that first batch of soap, you're going to want to make more...and more and more. I have easily spent $3000+ over the last two years. That's just for ingredients. There is probably another grand in equipment and molds.
hmmmm - I see your point, Gecko, but I do kindly disagree. As a purely hobby soaper, that is someone who does not give away to more than close family and friends (and does not sell), I think soaping is one of the least expensive hobbies out there. Given that the OP has expressed interest in learning and finding the joy of making soap for his wife and is starting with duping a bar for his wife, I'm guessing he's looking at soaping as a hobby.

For example, I quilt, do stained glass, throw pots (do pottery), do woodwork and paint. Out of all those hobbies, soaping has proved to be the least expensive - even with all the "rejects" from these crazy soap challenges. Have I spent money? Will I likely spend more money on bits and bobs that are extras? Of course! But, for many a year I soaped just fine, and often still do, with molds made from plastic sign board, spatulas and bowls and a strangely sharp knife from the dollar store. My most recent purchase of replacement safety equipment of goggles and gauntlet style gloves totaled all of $15, and they always last me about 3-4 years. An inexpensive stick blender is the only other extra, but I also soaped for years without one. Oils are often found on sale for generally $10 or less per gallon, which will make a goodly amount of soap for the hobby soaper, and so many are also available in grocery stores. Lye with no additives can be hard to find in these parts, but is generally accessible and inexpensive in "the city" (but I don't find it prohibitively expensive online either). In the US, distilled water is relatively inexpensive. I'm sure there are a few more items that folks could list as the "minimum" needed for soaping, but likely not many. I'm not crazy about the cost of EOs, but neither EOs nor FOs, or colors for that matter, are required for making soap. Yes, I must submit that the ratio of reward to cost (and time too) is much better with soaping than any of my other "hobbies". :)

P.S. The soap I make for my family's daily use costs me .68 cents to make per bar, which is less than I pay for real soap from Trader Joe's, and that's only because I insist on adding some EO (I can't help myself! LOL).

on past crazy's( I bought 2/ A-4 jet drop fuel tanks to make a paddleboat for the local raft race. $800 ea drivertrain broke half-way through race. Sold them for $1500 each. Not too bad but about broke even with all else I did.)
ohhh - but I bet that was a blast!!!

So cool you found a good FO!

Last edited:
Yes, I want it to smell like coast soap. My wife was aghast at the money I spent on a soap hobby(I've spent MUCH more in the past on CRAZIER things) so I asked her what she liked in Cost soap? She said mainly the smell so thats why I'm starting with it. btw I bought a coast soap scent from indigo fragrances

I’ve never used this supplier but they make a “Coast“ dupe.

https://www.indigofragrance.com/item_589/Coast-Soap-Type-Fragrance-Oil.htm
@PARTSBILL I realized after I posted this link that you had already ordered from them. Please let us know when you use it what you think about the scent. I used to love the smell of Coast back in the day.

Last edited:
hmmmm - I see your point, Gecko, but I do kindly disagree. As a purely hobby soaper, that is someone who does not give away to more than close family and friends (and does not sell), I think soaping is one of the least expensive hobbies out there. Given that the OP has expressed interest in learning and finding the joy of making soap for his wife and is starting with duping a bar for his wife, I'm guessing he's looking at soaping as a hobby.

For example, I quilt, do stained glass, throw pots (do pottery), do woodwork and paint. Out of all those hobbies, soaping has proved to be the least expensive - even with all the "rejects" from these crazy soap challenges. Have I spent money? Will I likely spend more money on bits and bobs that are extras? Of course! But, for many a year I soaped just fine, and often still do, with molds made from plastic sign board, spatulas and bowls and a strangely sharp knife from the dollar store. My most recent purchase of replacement safety equipment of goggles and gauntlet style gloves totaled all of $15, and they always last me about 3-4 years. An inexpensive stick blender is the only other extra, but I also soaped for years without one. Oils are often found on sale for generally $10 or less per gallon, which will make a goodly amount of soap for the hobby soaper, and so many are also available in grocery stores. Lye with no additives can be hard to find in these parts, but is generally accessible and inexpensive in "the city" (but I don't find it prohibitively expensive online either). In the US, distilled water is relatively inexpensive. I'm sure there are a few more items that folks could list as the "minimum" needed for soaping, but likely not many. I'm not crazy about the cost of EOs, but neither EOs nor FOs, or colors for that matter, are required for making soap. Yes, I must submit that the ratio of reward to cost (and time too) is much better with soaping than any of my other "hobbies". :)

P.S. The soap I make for my family's daily use costs me .68 cents to make per bar, which is less than I pay for real soap from Trader Joe's, and that's only because I insist on adding some EO (I can't help myself! LOL).
I guess I'm an OP? YEA!!!! ok what am I?

Back