Newbie: wanting to make candles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturemama

Reaction score
I've purchased all the supplies, picked up a few books, I think I have all I need. I know nothing about making candles, don't want to do it for a future business or anything, just want to make them for my house or possibly gifts for friends (if I get good at it). My question is: can I use EO's instead of fragrance oils? I've purchased soy candles made with EO's but yet I can't find any information in the books or on the net that give instructions on with what type of wax it works best. All I've read so far is that a candle won't hold the scent of the EO. :(

You most definately can use eos in soy but some won't throw well and they can be very costly. You will have to test to see what works for you and your wax. eos are much more expensive than an fo and fos tend to throw better. It might be more worth it to at least start with fos until you get a feel for making candles and then move into testing eos.

Your welcome. If you should decide to try citrus type eos, use Litsea to help anchor the scent. Citrus scents tend to fade and litsea can help hold them. But also know that citrus eos are known for not doing well in soy. The only ones I've used with any luck are spearmint, peppermint, eucalyptus and lavender. I do admit that I have not worked a lot with my eos in my wax just because of the cost.

Thank you cpsoaper. Yup, the one candle that I have made with soy has lavender in it. Is there a certain % of EO that would work best, depending on how large the candle is? Sorry to ask so many questions. :? I'm a virgin candle maker. I'm hoping to make my first candle after the kids get back to school.

I would start out using what I would if pouring with fos and then adjust from there. My typical fo load in my candles is around 8%; some fos I use a bit less some I will take up to 9%. It just depends on the scent. With lavender eo, I'd start with between 7-8% and see how that does in your wax.

Latest posts

Back