newbie tries her hand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5-day-old test. Squee!

IMG_0966.jpg

5-day-old test. Squee!
Thanks for the memories. You did very well. My first soap was good, expect that it was flat as a pancake because I didnt cut my cardbox mold right and it was to big. But it was soap. Good going.:)

I advise you to line that rack you have your soap sitting on. It can cause dos or at least orange spots when soap touches metal, even stainless steel, while curing.

Some people suggest rubbing a dryer sheet around the edge of the container. I store my lye in 5 gallon buckets and really never have the problem, but I am sure the dryer sheet method works. Since I master batch I usually try not to open the bucket on hot dry Santa Ana wind days when there is a lot of static in the air. Nope do not want even 1 grain to get on doggie feet. I hate it when I get a grain on the edge of a finger nail.

I never knew that, and I have a couple of stainless steel racks I recently got, went to check my sample soaps and some of my little bars have DOS.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
so last night I washed my hair with the new soap (5 days old) and it dried curly-ish! Without scrunching!! I've been using a commercial CP shampoo bar for a couple months now that has left my hair feeling super dry and crunchy at the ends even with a vinegar rinse and then various oils on the ends only. I love how clean it makes my scalp though and can go three days between shampoos with it. I didn't use any vinegar last night (because I forgot to mix it up before getting in the shower) and I oiled the ends while wet as usual. It feels pretty good! Much better than the commercial bar. I was not intending this as a shampoo bar but I was reading some shampoo bar threads and came across a post that said to try your regular soap as shampoo before trying to make one specifically FOR shampoo, to see what you like. If just one recipe makes my hair AND skin nice after curing I will be extremely happy! Can't wait to find out! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
so last night I washed my hair with the new soap (5 days old) and it dried curly-ish! Without scrunching!! I've been using a commercial CP shampoo bar for a couple months now that has left my hair feeling super dry and crunchy at the ends even with a vinegar rinse and then various oils on the ends only. I love how clean it makes my scalp though and can go three days between shampoos with it. I didn't use any vinegar last night (because I forgot to mix it up before getting in the shower) and I oiled the ends while wet as usual. It feels pretty good! Much better than the commercial bar. I was not intending this as a shampoo bar but I was reading some shampoo bar threads and came across a post that said to try your regular soap as shampoo before trying to make one specifically FOR shampoo, to see what you like. If just one recipe makes my hair AND skin nice after curing I will be extremely happy! Can't wait to find out! :mrgreen:

I highly recommend you dosome reading on using high PH soaps on your hair. Many of us cannot or have had damage caused by using CP soaps.

Some have had their hair break off. I have natural curly body to my hair and it made it like straw and ruined my haircolor.

Latest posts

Back