Newbie to the forum

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandra@SS

Reaction score
Hi,
I am enjoying all the info presented on this forum, and hope to make what ever contribution I can.
Relatively new to soaping etc, but soaking up knowledge like a sponge :)

Sandra
South Australia

Thanks Fellow Soapers. :)

the really lovely thing is that I now have a forum to relate to.

Soaping for me has been working alone and isolated from fellow soapers. I have had a good range of mistakes, disasters etc and each time I have had to problem solve by myself. I feel bad about the cost of mistakes, as we can't really afford to waste anything.

A recent issue with a new formulation product...it failed completely and I have to bin $150 worth of product. :( I referred the issue to the supplier, and after 2 weeks they still havent helped me figure out the issue other than ask to see my invoices.

If I did something wrong I wish they would say, as I can't find the issue, and I can't move forward with the product until I find the issue.

So feeling a little isolated...add in some 'fresh to the work' confidence issues, and there you go!

Looking to take a little time to enjoy myself in the 'forum of experience'.

Hi Sandra,

I'm a little to the right of you :)

There's a few Aussies (and other southern hemisphere) soapers kicking around here, and quite a few keepers of odd hours from the northern hemisphere, so you should be able to get help pretty quickly most of the time, and for the rest there is always someone who is traveling along the same road as you :)

If you need a hand with anything, just make a post (with details of the problem) in whichever is the most appropriate forum and you will usually get a good bit of help within the space of a few days.

Oh, and the search function (top right) - just type a keyword in the brown box (the colours are new) and it will automatically search whichever forum you are currently in! (I'm mentioning this so if you want to keep your recipe all secret squirrel, you can have a look around - there's usually someone who's posted something similar :D)

Welcome aboard :)

PS. If you update your Location to South Australia (or similar, like mine) it helps people know that it's not much use sending you to places like the local Walmart ;)

Howdy from Colorado USA, Sandra.

I started out all alone -- just like you! I know the feeling. After a year of soaping, I joined an online forum and the rest is history! Soaping is addictive and we're mostly "enablers" here. As far as "wasting money" when something fails and you have to bin it, just remember, soaping is cheaper than therapy! No worries. :thumbup:

There are many Newbies and Semi-newbies here so you are in good company. You might want to take some time to read info posted on the Beginner's Forum -- especially the Stickies. There's lots of good information there to help you. Once you create or find a recipe you'd like to try, plan on making a small 1 pound (500 grams) batch. Run the recipe through a calculator like SoapCalc or Soapee then you can get feedback by starting a new thread on the Recipe Feedback Forum (non-soap items too).

Cheers!
Wave.gif

Hi,
I am enjoying all the info presented on this forum, and hope to make what ever contribution I can.
Relatively new to soaping etc, but soaking up knowledge like a sponge :)

Sandra
South Australia
Hi Sandra, I'm new also and really looking forward to more soapmaking. I have only tried liquid soap but I'm trying to learn more about all soapmaking.

I have not been able to figure out how to post because a message comes on that says to include contributors and of course I don't know anyone yet.

Can you help me get started using this forum? Thanks.

I am not sure where you are trying to post that says "include contributors". That is strange.

To start a thread, click Forums at the top left of this page.
Choose the forum. For example, this is the Introduction forum.
Click "Post New Thread" in the top right quarter of the screen. It's under a banner that says Help Support SoapMakingForum.

I am not sure where you are trying to post that says "include contributors". That is strange.

To start a thread, click Forums at the top left of this page.
Choose the forum. For example, this is the Introduction forum.
Click "Post New Thread" in the top right quarter of the screen. It's under a banner that says Help Support SoapMakingForum.

When I click Forums I get this message:

~*~ SMF February 2018 Challenge- Soap Dough! ~*~
[URL='http://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/february-challenge-entry-thread.69254/']~ February 2018 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~
[/URL]
[URL='https://www.soapmakingforum.com/accounts/upgrade']I do not get the "Post New Thread" message. I don't know what I did wrong. maybe I need to re-register.[/URL]

What kind and size of device are you using?

Maybe you are only seeing the top of the page, which is what it sounds like to me by what you are seeing. I think you need to scroll down a bit more...

Also, you need to actually be in a forum to see the new thread option you won't see it on the index page, which is what you get when you click on the button that says 'Forums'. So pick a specific forum, open it and then you can start a new thread.

Last edited:
Hi Sandra, I'm new also and really looking forward to more soapmaking. I have only tried liquid soap but I'm trying to learn more about all soapmaking.

I have not been able to figure out how to post because a message comes on that says to include contributors and of course I don't know anyone yet.

Can you help me get started using this forum? Thanks.
I just open at this page
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/#the-soap-making-craft-forum.4
then go into a forum like
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/forums/beginners-soap-making-forum.47/
about 5cm down from the very top of the page, slightly to the right is a "post New Thread" button.
thats how I did it
hope this helps sewandgarden :)

Howdy from Colorado USA, Sandra.

I started out all alone -- just like you! I know the feeling. After a year of soaping, I joined an online forum and the rest is history! Soaping is addictive and we're mostly "enablers" here. As far as "wasting money" when something fails and you have to bin it, just remember, soaping is cheaper than therapy! No worries. :thumbup:

There are many Newbies and Semi-newbies here so you are in good company. You might want to take some time to read info posted on the Beginner's Forum -- especially the Stickies. There's lots of good information there to help you. Once you create or find a recipe you'd like to try, plan on making a small 1 pound (500 grams) batch. Run the recipe through a calculator like SoapCalc or Soapee then you can get feedback by starting a new thread on the Recipe Feedback Forum (non-soap items too).

Cheers! View attachment 29560
photo 2 copy 3.jpg
I made these Rose Soaps in January.
I have 5 batches of cp curing now, only one is a bit of a colour shocker. 1st try swirling and not terribly sucessful... bit muddy from over exuberance. Nice soap though. :)
I have developed my own recipe using local ingredients where possible, plenty of room for improvement though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back