Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love your soap! However, I think your soap & lye were too hot. Try soaping at a lower temp of around 85°-90° F. Also reduce your Distilled Water amount to 25%. Blessings!

One pound means 16 ounces of oil. Be sure to use a soap calculator and if you have a pringles can and some freezer paper to line it, that will make a good mold. You can also use a milk container. I would try to find something closer you your batter weight to start. It will be easier than making a mold smaller.
Don’t try intricate designs on your first soap. Make sure you know how to handle your recipe and FO before getting fancy. Try a two color in the pot swirl. It will be pretty and your not going to be disappointed if it doesn’t look like something from YouTube.

The gloves will work. I prefer nitrile but that is me

The pringles can is such a good idea! Especially for starting out. I'll have to remember this tip to share with others.

Done with my Orange and lavender soaps :) :) :)

whats wrong???? I made soap using rose clay and titanium dioxide. I used coffee powder as a layer to differentiate colors. When I cut the soap after 6 days it broke at the coffee layer . I soaped at 115f and 130f .
Recipe is- coconut oil -4.20 oz
olive oil-6.72oz
palm oil-3.36
shea butter -2.52
water -5.38 (as % of oil weight - 32%)
Lye 2.35oz
Should i throw the soap to trash? Or can I rebatch the soap? Whats the process of rebatching soap?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 11.39.54 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 11.39.54 AM (1).jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 11.39.53 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 11.39.53 AM.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 4.41.08 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 4.41.08 PM.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 13
So sorry - your soap was very pretty. 😖😢

Breaking at the layer means that you either used too much coffee, or it wasn't ground finely enough, or both. The soap is still fine, and rebatching would be fine.

Instructions for rebatching can be found be using the Search box at the top right corner of the page, and putting in Rebatch. I recommend clicking "titles only" so you get the threads that deal specifically with that issue, rather than a casual mention.

EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby came in contact with lye on his lips cheeks and hands. cheeks and hands are good but his lips are swollen and bled little. Should we consult doctor? plz suggest some tips on how to treat lye burns on lips

EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby came in contact with lye on his lips cheeks and hands. cheeks and hands are good but his lips are swollen and bled little. Should we consult doctor? plz suggest some tips on how to treat lye burns on lips
This is not the place to come for a medical emergency! You should consult a medical professional if you need advice.

Please let us know how it went with your DH and I sure hope he has been seen by a physician.

Hopefully he was flushing all affected areas with cold running water while you were dialing 911. That is the recommend treatment for lye burns.

If you don't care about reusing it, you don't need to line a Pringles can. I've rinsed them out and used them for a mold. When done, just cut the rim and tear the can away, it's cardboard. 24.2 oz oils. I find that parchment paper makes for better lining than freezer or butcher paper but, that's just my opinion.

I finally was successful with 3 inch PVC pipe. I lined the inside with parchment paper. I used a 1 foot section and 30.53 oz oils. I think another 1/2 ounce on the oils will work. That's what I'll do next time. A couple layers of parchment paper on the bottom held on with rubber bands. Set it on a saucer to fill and set. Use a canning funnel. When done, turn it over and give it a little bump and it slides right out.

VINEGAR!!!!
When vinegar mixes with lye solution, it causes an exothermic reaction, which means it gets very hot. So you'd end up with a chemical burn and a thermal burn.

Cold water - and plenty of it - is the only thing you should put on a lye burn. By the time you got the vinegar onto the burn, the lye has already done whatever damage it's going to do and it's too late to try to neutralize it.

VINEGAR!!!!

@SoapLover1 please don't ever use or recommend vinegar for rinsing off lye that has come in contact with skin. As explained by @Quanta this makes the burn much, much worse. If you look at your lye container from the manufacturer, the directions are very specific: rinse continuously with cool running water.

When I first started soaping almost a decade ago, the blog I was following taught me to use vinegar, as well. Can't remember now who set me straight, but I'm ever so thankful they did before I ever burned myself, or taught someone else to burn themselves.

It's a very serious issue, so that's why you are getting such a strong reaction from others.

I do apologize! I know to flush with cold water but I always use Vinegar to initially stop the reaction after removing it from the skin, then cold water. It has worked for me and that’s how I was taught. Never mean harm to anyone. Again, my Apologies! Blessings!

I do apologize! I know to flush with cold water but I always use Vinegar to initially stop the reaction after removing it from the skin, then cold water. It has worked for me and that’s how I was taught. Never mean harm to anyone. Again, my Apologies! Blessings!
Always learn to read MSDS sheets when using chemicals of any kind. The MSDS which comes with lye tells you to rinse with copious amounts of cool water only. Seek medical attention if necessary.

This is a really nice mold for making 1lb batches of soap. I used to use it for test batches. It will hold around 13-14 ounces of oil, sorry I do not remember exactly how much oil I would use. Crafter

Back