Newbie Soaper...what companies do you buy frm, why??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CndLou

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and have found them extremely useful. I have been searching and have found some info on what companies you are buying from. I would like more input from experienced soapers who have been buying a while...what company or companies are you buying from and why (price, quality, quanity, shipping, service)? There are SOOoooo many to choose from and it gets confusing.

I am on my 5th batch and pretty much hooked, although I haven't tried anything but CP. I think the process is so entirely cool and rewarding. I don't want to sell my soaps, just love creating them and look forward to sharing them. Thus far, I have bought my ingredients from local stores (health food, SAMs, etc..) and would like to save money where I can by purchasing online, larger quantities (not outrageous, like a batch or two a week type thing)(3-10pds a week ??). I bet there is a link on here with similar questions that I have not found yet, if so, please share (been to K.Miller's page and love it).

These are the companies that I am contemplating:

EO's: Camden-Grey, New Directions, Lebermuth, Liberty, Essential Oils.org...
I have read articles on buying quality EO's and that price does matter on the quality of the oil. I like most of you, can't buy the top of the line oils but I want a good product for the soaps that I will share with close F&F's (friends & family,etc..).

Butters & Oils: Columbus, Mountain Rose Herbs

Herbs: Mountain Rose Herbs

Clays & Exfoliants: ???

I REALLY want your input, so please take a moment to give your expertise (positive/negative) and/or list what works for you. Also, I think that ALL of us are investing a ton of money into this wonderful hobby and there should be some type of Top 5 Vendor list, by Category (EO's, FO's, Butters & Oils, Herbs, Exfoliants, Colorants, Lye, anything else....??

Thanks so much and happy, sudzy creating!!

:D

Welcome!
I use companies that are the closest to me to save on shipping. Snowdrift Farms, BrambleBerry or Lotioncrafter are some of my choices.

BTW...

Happy New Year! May 2011 bring you many happy soaping experiences! My DH and I were going to go out on the town, however decided to stay in since Colorado is in Storm Watch mode with below freezing temps (maybe I should make my Lye solution outside to speed up the process, ;) I am excited to spend a quite evening at home with my family and warm fireplace, planning my next batch!! So far, DH is very supportive of my new hobby and is just glad to see me doing something other than work. Teaching can do that to you, although I LOVE, love my job...just don't want it as my hobby too. ;)

A correction to my original post concerning making a "good" soap...I want to make the absolute BEST high-quality soap I can on a Colorado teacher's pay. I want to order my ingredients from the best soap companies out there and who better to ask then, you.

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the tip...

I found the "shopping recommendations" page and it was FULL of info concerning my question! Thank you!! :)

soapbuddy said:
Welcome!
I use companies that are the closest to me to save on shipping. Snowdrift Farms, BrambleBerry or Lotioncrafter are some of my choices.

I also pick companies close to me that save me on shipping when i can.

hi welcome to the forum. :) i always compare shipping prices on multiple websites so see where i can save. I also look for local companies so i can pick up to cut out the shipping all together

Great suggestions! I can't wait until my soap cures...I am patiently waiting. I am going to start searching for local companies to save on shipping etc... I can't wait to make another batch of suds!

CndLou said:
Hello Everyone,

I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and have found them extremely useful. I have been searching and have found some info on what companies you are buying from. I would like more input from experienced soapers who have been buying a while...what company or companies are you buying from and why (price, quality, quanity, shipping, service)? There are SOOoooo many to choose from and it gets confusing.

I am on my 5th batch and pretty much hooked, although I haven't tried anything but CP. I think the process is so entirely cool and rewarding. I don't want to sell my soaps, just love creating them and look forward to sharing them. Thus far, I have bought my ingredients from local stores (health food, SAMs, etc..) and would like to save money where I can by purchasing online, larger quantities (not outrageous, like a batch or two a week type thing)(3-10pds a week ??). I bet there is a link on here with similar questions that I have not found yet, if so, please share (been to K.Miller's page and love it).

These are the companies that I am contemplating:

EO's: Camden-Grey, New Directions, Lebermuth, Liberty, Essential Oils.org...
I have read articles on buying quality EO's and that price does matter on the quality of the oil. I like most of you, can't buy the top of the line oils but I want a good product for the soaps that I will share with close F&F's (friends & family,etc..).

Butters & Oils: Columbus, Mountain Rose Herbs

Herbs: Mountain Rose Herbs

Clays & Exfoliants: ???

I REALLY want your input, so please take a moment to give your expertise (positive/negative) and/or list what works for you. Also, I think that ALL of us are investing a ton of money into this wonderful hobby and there should be some type of Top 5 Vendor list, by Category (EO's, FO's, Butters & Oils, Herbs, Exfoliants, Colorants, Lye, anything else....??

Thanks so much and happy, sudzy creating!!

:D

I get mine from Monterey herb company
herbco.com

Peak Candle has great FOs. They are in Denver

Brambleberry (WA) has everything and excellent quality, especially FOs and EOs

Soapies Supplies and Snowdrift Farm are both in AZ if you're looking to save on shipping.

Magestic Mountain Sage - also with a great reputation for FOs, EOs and carries a lot of soap and B&B materials is in Utah.

I order a lot from Camden Grey even though they are far away (I'm in NM). Either order an amount that fits into their 4 lb flat rate envelope or order a whole lot. In between, the postage can be kind of high. But their prices are great for most things (they have clays and exfoliants too, FYI) and I find the postage to be justified. I've gotten specialty butters and oils from them, glycerin, stearic acid, clays, etc. Their EOs and FOs get mixed reviews from experienced soapers. So far, I have no complaints.

I just ordered some EOs and FOs from adobesoapworks.com in Capitan, NM but haven't gotten my order yet. Their FOs are supposed to be very good and prices are very reasonable.

Edited to add that I get my herbs from SF Herb Company. Great prices, very reasonable shipping, excellent quality and fast fulfillment. I have also bought powdered milks, cocoa, tea, etc. from them for both soaping and consumption.

Good luck and enjoy!

those are good quality suppliers - feel comfortable with them.
Judy's recos are great too.

Back