Newbie Soap Maker Tutorial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anne Marie has a great video tutorial for beginners.

I thought it was well done, especially the part about how you don't HAVE to have a soap mold to make soap.

I really do like their Sodium Hydroxide flakes, they make a scratchy sound in your container until dissolved...which is fantastic for beginners.

Yeh but, but... she doesn't wrap the lining paper around the corners. Doesn't it leak?

Fortunately, it doesn't leak. At least not much. Not enough to affect the soap. That's exactly how I line my molds when I have to line them. I use mostly silicone molds but my two really big slab molds I have to line.

Pouring at trace the batter will not leak in the corners or if it does it will be very little leakage.

We need to point out to not use glass including pyrex for mixing lye or soap. Lye can cause etching of the glass and eventually causing the glass to weaken and break. Ann Marie really needs to edit her video and change her mixing containers, but of course, she is a supplier and she does sell or did sell those large glass measuring containers she is mixing the batter in.

I use wooden molds lined with freezer paper or sometimes parchment paper. I never fold the corners of the paper lining. I sometimes see a little leakage if I pour the soap at emulsion, when the batter is very thin, but most of the time, I don't see any leakage.

Back