Newbie questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn

Reaction score
I have a lot of wax melts I no longer use. Could I use those wax melts to scent the candles I am making?

What is the best method to melt glass jar candles? I bought some unscented candles and wanted to melt them down to create my own scented candles.

You need to figure out what the wax is made of, and then you can contact a candle company. Tell them what your wax is and what size your jars are, and they can recommend a wick.

The tricky thing here is, we don't know what all is in those candles you want to melt down. That's why dixiedragon's suggestion is a good one. If you contact the candle company you can find out what is in them. Without knowing the ingredients it is hard to suggest a wick, since wicking is based on the waxes of the candle. If they are glass jar candles, it is likely a soy wax, but best to find out for sure.

I third finding out what is in the wax melts first. Wax melts arn't always made with wicks in mind - glitter and mica, for example, don't always work well in candle form.

I have a lot of wax melts I no longer use. Could I use those wax melts to scent the candles I am making?

What is the best method to melt glass jar candles? I bought some unscented candles and wanted to melt them down to create my own scented candles.
Wax will only hold so much fragrance before it starts to break down and weep out. If the wax is already scented there is no way you will know how much was originally used, and if it will hold anymore. If you don't plan on adding any additional scent to the melts, then yes, dixiedragon's suggestion is a good one. Same holds true with the unscented candles you plan on melting down. Then you will have to test to make sure the wax/wick/FO combo all works together. It's a time consuming and expensive hobby to bet into.

Latest posts

Back