Newbie questions about calculating oil percentages

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herrenfam

Reaction score
I’m new to soapmaking and I currently have OO, sweet almond oil, castor oil, unrefined cocoa butter, CO (76 degree), palm oil, and one more I can’t think of right now. I’d like to make eczema soap (have colloidal oatmeal made in my blender) but I’m not sure how to learn how to properly substitute different percentages of oils to use. I use the soap calc calculator and I like it, and I’ve read almost everything on soap Queen. But anyway my first batch of lye-based soap had gelled, rested, and cut and is now resting and airing out for the next month!

Welcome to the forums! My husband and I both have sensitive skin, and this is my favorite "sensitive skin" recipe I've made so far:

Palm oil 35%
Coconut oil 10% (CO adds hardness and cleansing properties to the bar but can also be harsh on sensitive skin, so I try to keep it low)
Olive Oil 25%
Cocoa Butter 15%
Sweet Almond Oil 10%
Castor Oil 5%

In my experience, bars like this have a creamier lather and don't produce much bubbles, partially because a lot of the oils that produce bubbles (like CO) are harsher on skin. It's a lovely bar and I've added a few scents and colors, which is always fun :)

Back