Newbie needs help before attempting first batch of CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
After much reading and studying, I am ready I think to make my first batch of soap. I'd like to try CP.
From what I have gathered, I need a simple recipe that doesn't make a huge amount. Yet a the smaller the batch the less room for error in my measurements.
Should I try a "local" recipe? How do I know how much soap a recipe will yield? I'm going to try to stick to recipes without any animal fats.
There is sooooo much information on the 'net that it can get confusing.
Any suggestions on a recipe that is easy for your first batch of CP soap? What about molds (I read you can use stuff around the house) I'm trying to go about this in a smart way. I don't want to spend too much $ until I see if it is something I enjoy. Then I'll invest in more proper molds, etc.
I'm in the gathering stage now. I already have a digital scale, I need to pick up a stick blender, some thermometers and minor items like that.
Then I need a recipe to try!
I appreciate everyone's time on this forum and all that you share. I've spent hours upon hours reading already!
Thanks in advance for your time and looking forward to hearing from you.
Dana

Hi there!

Here is some of our tips and advice.

Because we rebatch most of our soaps molds are not that big of a deal for us. I use a cat litter pan lined with the pan liners for my large batches. They hold anywhere from 10-20 lbs of soap for the large pans. I buy them at a local family dollar for $2.00 each.

I have always made large batches of soap from the first day. So I am not sure you have to start with a small batch unless you are worried about cost/loss amounts. We did have a few 12 lb batches go bad which of course was money lost. If they were smaller it would have been less of a loss.

We have a much easier time making a batch of Non animal product CP siao than we do with our goat milk soap batches. I still have not figured out why this is so yet. :oops:

Start by using a recipe you find online/book before making your own.

Good luck!

~Becky

I made my first CP soaps about a month ago (CP is what I started with, but I now do some HP too). It was a 10 oz batch (although I have read on some sites to start with a pound). I do have an oz and grams scale. The smaller the batch the more precise you need to be on measurements because a little off is a lot off and can make big differences.

I have made about 10 batches of soaps now (using HP as well) varying from 4 to 20 oz in size.

My first mold was a heat resistant plastic container. I later bought a one-pound wooden mold, silicone muffin mold (LOVE this one now), and a milky way mold (pain to get the soap out).

I started out lining the wooden mold with wax paper but later learned the soap seeps through that. You can use freezer paper, but I just went with the handy bags cereal comes in. For the silicone mold, I didn't line with anything, but I only made HP soaps in it thus far, so no idea how CP reacts with it.

I am sure people will tell you to use a time tested recipe and to make sure you run it through a calculator, but I went and just made my own recipe and ran that through a calculator. My recipe has evolved a little bit, but not by much.

You also have to decide if you will use fragrances or not your first time. Additives? Some essential oils and fragrance oils (make sure they are safe for use on skin) make soap act weird. Flash points are important, some cause seizing or faster trace, etc.

Make sure you have safety gear and know what precautions you need to take when working with lye.

My advice to you is, write down everything on a paper. Weigh everything out in advance and check them off. Write your steps on paper so you can see where you have to go next. Otherwise something might get left out or you last minute freak out because you don't know what to do next.

Good luck.

Re: Newbie needs help before attempting first batch of CP so

Dana said:
Hi everyone!
After much reading and studying, I am ready I think to make my first batch of soap. I'd like to try CP.
From what I have gathered, I need a simple recipe that doesn't make a huge amount. Yet a the smaller the batch the less room for error in my measurements.
Should I try a "local" recipe? How do I know how much soap a recipe will yield? I'm going to try to stick to recipes without any animal fats.
There is sooooo much information on the 'net that it can get confusing.
Any suggestions on a recipe that is easy for your first batch of CP soap? What about molds (I read you can use stuff around the house) I'm trying to go about this in a smart way. I don't want to spend too much $ until I see if it is something I enjoy. Then I'll invest in more proper molds, etc.
I'm in the gathering stage now. I already have a digital scale, I need to pick up a stick blender, some thermometers and minor items like that.
Then I need a recipe to try!
I appreciate everyone's time on this forum and all that you share. I've spent hours upon hours reading already!
Thanks in advance for your time and looking forward to hearing from you.
Dana

Hello Dana,

Good Luck on this batch. You can use anything from plasticware (thick), from a bread muffin pan (make sure its lined)
you can find simple recipes here www.millersoap.com

Latest posts

Back