Newbie needs advice on a receipe please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbs

Reaction score
Hi iam thinking of doing the following receipe, hp in a crock pot just wanted to know if its ok. My aim is to make a nice silky mosturizing bar.

30% olive pomace oil
25% coconut oil
10% palm oil
10% lard (pig)
10% caster
10% cocoa butter
5% shea butter
water @ the defalt on soapcal @ 38

Total oils 22oz so will make 2lb of soap i think

I will do a 3% super fat/discount and add an extra 5% shea butter at the end of cook to super fat more so will have a super fat total of 8%

i also want to add 2T of goat milk powder or buttermilk powder added at the end of cook with the shea butter.

2T of sugar as ive heard this helps keep hp soap a bit more pourable? (dont know if this works)

And a bit of Tussah silk noil.

Does it sound ok? I would be grateful for any input.

Do i weigh the shea butter iam adding at the end of cook while is still in solid form, i think i do :oops: lol

I would be grateful for any input :)

I don't know a hell of a lot about HP as I've only made it a handful of times but I think you need to have 100% of the oils in from the word go and you can add extra luxury oil after the cook to give you a superfat.

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood what you wrote. Are you meaning to add 5% Shea Butter before the cook and then 5% after the cook, making the total Shea Butter 10%? If so, that is fine. :wink:

I weigh my Shea Butter in its solid form.

Yes 5% shea with the rest of the oils and 5% at end end of cook. :lol:

Hi Debbs...It looks like a great bar, but I have never HP'd. I cannot see how much lye you are using. And I think if I understand right, you are going to add an extra 5% shea after in addition to what you already have listed for ingred.

Give it a try. And let us know how it goes. Nothing wrong with your ingred. and the extras listed except the sugar may be a little much. I have only used 1 tsp for 16 oz but you probably can go a little higher with HP. And as long as you add the right amount of lye, then your cooking.

Laurie

when i HP i use 1 TBS ppo. it has helped me keep the soap a little more fluid. also use the full amount of water recommended to help keep it from drying out. :)

Why not make a batch HP and an identical batch CP? It would be a very good learning experience. I don't make much HP because the finished product smells so different to me. I have an acute sense of smell. :wink:

Hi i ran the recipe through the soapcal and with a 3% fat discount i will be using 3.145oz of lye and 8.36oz water hope this sounds ok. Ive read that sugar helps to keep hp soap more fludid so thought i would give it a try.I yes will be adding an extra 5% shea at the end of cook, and 5% with my ingrediants list. Thanks for all your help, i will let you know how it goes and add pics. :)

Latest posts

Back