Newbie here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This section on this forum that has lots of good advice. I suggest you look through them. Go from older to new.

What kind of soap are you making?

Oh and welcome!

I do not sell, but do make labels for friends/family just in case... That being said, I'm still making my way through Marie Gale's book on the subject.
But, I usually start by printing my recipe & looking-up the INCI names for each ingredient. Then, I list the ingredients by weight from most to least used. I get confused when an ingredient may be a formula of multiple items and I'm not sure exactly how much of one item or another is actually used. I just list everything at this point. Since I'm not selling, I don't stress it too much.

Are you using a melt and pour base? The manufacturer will have the list of ingredients available if it is not on the label. If you add in additives that muddies the water since you will not know the percentages of the manufactured base. Unless things have changed which I have not heard of, in the US we can use the simple ingredients and do not have to include the inci. Melt an Pour is a base which is usually purchased, melted and poured. HP is the same type recipes as cold process soap but is cooked until fully saponified.

Back