Newbie here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afbrat

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to making soap, and brand new to this forum! So far, I am partial to coconut oil in my soaps. What are your favorite oils/butters and why? Looking forward to learning a lot from all of you experienced soapers!

-I love coconut and PKO for bubbles and hardness.
-I love castor for the oomphy enhancement it brings to my lather made by coconut and PKO.
-I love lard for the creamy body it lends to my lather and for slowing trace down.
-I love tallow for the hardness it lends.
-I love olive for it's gentleness, eventual hardness, and the certain 'body' it contributes to my lather in certain doses.
-I love cocoa butter, kokum butter, mango butter, and illipe butter for the hardness and creaminess they lend to certain of my formulas, such as my shaving formula for example.
-I love rice bran for it's contribution of linoleic acid to certain of my formulas.

I don't use all of the above in every batch, mind you, but they all do get used in my various formulas.

IrishLass :)

I love CO and OO along with a variety of butters for the nice thin batters that let me make swirls.

I'm the first of the lard folks! I win the forum award :)

Seriously, lard - LOVE IT.

Other oils I normally use:
Olive - good for a non-stripping oil. Sometimes sub it for Pumpkin or Avocado or Hemp
Castor - good for bubbles in small amounts
CO/PKO: I like to combo these for a total of 15-20% for bubbles
Shea: I like this in small amounts to add some serious conditioning. I keep it small to stop the butter from killing my bubbles.

I live in a dry area that's hard on my skin so I tailor my soap for myself.

ETA: I need to crush on lard for a sec. It's inexpensive and easily accessible. It slows trace. It makes a creamy, rich lather. It makes a hard bar. There aren't DOS concerns with it. It makes a white bar. It makes a long lasting bar.

Last edited:
I have used lard in a couple of batches now. They are still curing though, so I haven't tried them yet

I love the basics: Coconut, lard, olive oil, castor oil

Im a big fan of sweet almond oil, which puts me back in the oddball camp :)

Im sort of neutral on palm oil, but Im am one of those weirdos who likes a little red palm in some recipes for color.

Like everyone else, LARD.

Then CO, olive, avocado, castor, all for the reasons people have stated.

The two oils which are irreplaceable to me are lard and castor. The rest I could do work-arounds.

Last edited:
I love tallow and also love sweet almond oil over olive. It's a neutral color over olive and has a slightly higher conditioning number than olive. I love the home rendered tallow I make because the butcher throws in pork trimmings...it's a blend of tallow and lard. Though I don't always know the percentages precisely of what to what, it's appx a 70% tallow to 30% lard without the additives store bought lard has. Love it! When I do this I use the tallow sap numbers and account for the lard in there mixed brings the superfat down no more than 1/2-1%. So I keep this in mind (and don't sell)

I am new too in soap making world and using these oils
Olive oil
coconut oil
shea butter
almond oil (I love to ad it in all my soaps)
caster oil
I never heard about Lard and its not available in my country .
Tallow (I am planning to use it now as I heard a lot about it )

-I love coconut and PKO for bubbles and hardness.
-I love castor for the oomphy enhancement it brings to my lather made by coconut and PKO.
-I love lard for the creamy body it lends to my lather and for slowing trace down.
-I love tallow for the hardness it lends.
-I love olive for it's gentleness, eventual hardness, and the certain 'body' it contributes to my lather in certain doses.
-I love cocoa butter, kokum butter, mango butter, and illipe butter for the hardness and creaminess they lend to certain of my formulas, such as my shaving formula for example.
-I love rice bran for it's contribution of linoleic acid to certain of my formulas.

I don't use all of the above in every batch, mind you, but they all do get used in my various formulas.

IrishLass :)

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..." I can't help but feel that you are channeling Elizabeth Barrett Browning here. :wink:

Back