Newbie here!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KigerKat

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I've had a lot of friends recently tell me that they love handmade soaps and are always looking for places that sell them. I thought I would give this a try as gifts at first and then maybe try to sell some for a profit.

There's a ton of websites about soapmaking, but I can't seem to find where to start. I purchased a couple of books on Amazon (still waiting on shipping) and I've bought a couple of basic things at my local Hobby Lobby (glycerin soap, a couple of fragrances, a basic mold and a couple of dyes). I figure melt and pour would be a good way to get started.

Any ideas of what else I might need or any suggestions for some good websites for reference?

Thanks, guys! I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Hello and welcome! :)

I would start by reading here in the CP and the Melt and Pour Forum. Also search the tutorials, take notes, and compare them with the advice in your soaping books.

Another great place to look is http://www.teachsoap.com . Anne Marie has a lot of wonderful tutorials, recipes, and even an "Ask Anne Marie" column for questions.

David Fisher's site is also a great sourc of info. The url there is http://candleandsoap.about.com . He has some great step by step tutorials with photos and always has some creative candle and soap project.

Basically, start by reading some, asking questions, reading more, asking more questions, and doing along the way. And most of all, have FUN! You're a long way off from giving away or selling soaps, so enjoy the journey. :)

Hi , Welcome to the forum , it is great to have you here with us .Mike has given you excellent advice and there are lots of helpful people here to answer any questions you might have .

Kitn

Well, I tried to make my first batch of soap today with the stuff I bought at Hobby Lobby yesterday. I made 4 purple bars of Lavender and Lilac - and it turned out pretty good (I think), with the exception of the lavender bits I added towards the end. They didn't mix too well and are kind of clumped up on the top of the bars. I didn't really know if I should have added them while I was still melting the glycerin or after, but I guess I should have done it while I was melting.

This was my first attempt. I look forward to getting my books soon and getting some great ideas from you guys.

And I know I'm a long way off from selling soap for a profit. For now I just want to play around with it and see what I can make. After a while if my friends are loving what I'm making, then I'll look into making a small home business out of it.

Funny story, I mentioned this new interest to my husband who reminded me of all of my other craft endeavors: wood burning, knitting, beading, scrapbooking, and cake decorating and how I really stuck with all of those. So I think that if I'm still consistently making soap (and I'm making it well) by the time the holidays roll around, then it might be time to consider moving forward.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can't wait to get to know you guys better!!

Hope you're enjoying the soaping.

Can I make one suggestion? If you decide that you really like the soaping and want to continue, consider investing in some melt and pour base from one of the soap suppliers. Almost any of them is going to be of higher quality than craft store base, and I think you will be much happier with the results. :)

MikeInPdx said:
Hope you're enjoying the soaping.

Can I make one suggestion? If you decide that you really like the soaping and want to continue, consider investing in some melt and pour base from one of the soap suppliers. Almost any of them is going to be of higher quality than craft store base, and I think you will be much happier with the results. :)

There are only 2 craft stores in my area: Hobby Lobby and Michael's. There is a Joann Fabrics, but it's quite a drive.

I definitely didn't care for the m&p soap base at Hobby Lobby, but it was something to play around with.

I went to Michael's this past Sunday, and they carried Life of the Party bases and had more of a variety. I had read in a thread on the m&p boards that someone really liked their bases, so I gave them a try. They weren't bad, but very expensive ($10 for 2 pounds). I started reading through a lot of the threads here and began price shopping some of the sites that get mentioned a lot. It looks like Bramble Berry and Wholesale Supplies Plus get a lot of good feedback and their prices are reasonable. Even with shipping I'm still saving money vs. buying the 2 pound bricks at Michael's.

I've only made 4 batches of soap, but so far I love it! There are just sooooo many choices and ways to make it!! I ordered a loaf pan (I like the clear ones in the Soap Queen videos) and I just can't wait to start making soap loaves.

So...after the long response, the short response is that yes, I will be buying some bulk bases from an online supplier. Better quality AND less money!!

Back