Newbie here! I think I might have a problem...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot process is different, not better but different. If you want to be able to do easy swirling and lots of colors cold process is the way to go. However if you want to strictly control your superfat then hot process is easier.

It is a different way in that you are cooking the soap first, then molding it. For some people (Me) this makes it much more difficult as the soap is much thicker and usually ( for me) this means glopping it into the mold rather than pouring. This leads to the cut soap having a more rustic look.

That said, I have seen some soaps (few and far between) that I could not tell were hot process and were swirled beautifully. I know there are additives you can use to keep the soap more fluid during hot process, but they have never worked that well for me ( although they do keep the "lumpiness" to a minimum. )

I would say go ahead and try hot process out so you'll have a better understanding of it but realize that unless you are super talented with the process or very lucky with your recipe that your results may be less refined looking than you can achieve with cold process.

Edited to add: hot process does not have a quicker cure time. All soap should be cured 4-8 weeks or longer. It is not just the water you are evaporating for a harder bar, but also waiting for the soap to improve in mildness and lather. This process can not be rushed, it simply is what it is.

Last edited:
Hello again guys!
I stopped making soap for the last couple months because I was waiting for my essential oils bought from iHerb.com
They arrived yesterday, and I've already made a Peppermint soap... Dear god, that smells ridiculously delicious.... Essential oils are absurdly superior than essences, it's a whole new game, and I'm loving it.

I usually don't post here because I'm such a noob and I wouldn't dare to give people advice.
But honestly, after my last soap, I feel I'm one of you now. hehehe
that thing is gorgeous.

Anyway, I was ordering some oils locally, and I noticed that here in Brazil they sell 2 types of Palm Oil, and they are completely different from each other.

I've been buying the "Oleo de Palma", extracted from the red part of the seed, and now I noticed they also have "Palmiste", wich is extracted from the white part:

rNDMNrv.png

I know there are some variations in the soapcalc list, like "palm kernel", "palm stearin", "palmitic acid", "palmolein"
Do you guys know which one is it?
I've read it has similar proprieties to coconut oil, and it's pretty cheap (so is Palm Oil), so I think I'll buy some.

Thank you guys in advance!

Cheers!

Back