Newbie Here! Hello! :-)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonblossom

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Jennifer. I've just dipped my toe into soap making as I thought it would make a good gift for Christmas. Haven't made any yet. Still researching and preparing. Hoping to make some by end of this month beginning of next. I'm 32 years old, I currently live in an apartment but we plan to move into a house by this time next year *crosses fingers*.

So, any tips? I've been reading through here eagerly the last few days so i think I've got an idea of the minimum I need to begin making soap. I bought a book Natural Soap Making ( don't have it with me, don't know the author.)

How do you store your materials? I don't have a lot of space and I need most of the materials to be contained safely so my cats or 1 year old son won't be able to access them. I have no shed or outside storage. I do have a sunroom that's temperature controlled just like the rest of our home. We keep the temperature between 68 - 73 F most of the time.

I was thinking of buying a large snap lidded plastic container to store things in. I'll be clearing off a counter top in the sunroom for curing the soap.

Thanks! I'm excited to get started!

Jennifer ( Dragoblossom)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Hi Jennifer,
Welcome! You are in the right place to learn from the many talented people here. My advice would be to start simple, use a very basic first recipe, maybe leave it unscented, and try to use things you have on hand, or go to a thrift shop, garage sale etc. to buy inexpensive items that you can dedicate to soap making. I think you need a stick blender, accurate digital kitchen scale that measures in ounces, and grams, and a sturdy container to mix you lye in, I prefer stainless steel also you need goggles for your eyes, and a good pair of gloves , I love using silicone, and many of the silicone baking trays make very nice soap, at a good price. I know that you will have many other great comments, but that is what I think I would do from my experience.

Hi Jennifer -

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I liked OliveOil2s suggestions. I mainly use an old Rubbermaid pitcher (PP5 code) for mixing lye. For storage, I have a couple of the large clear plastic containers with the handles that lock down like you mentioned. They look like this one but not as large. I found them on sale in a grocery store but dollar stores might have them. A sister also gave me some clear plastic shoe box sized containers which I use for small items. You could ask family or friends if they have items they can donate to you. You can show your appreciation later by giving them soap. :wink:

You want to make sure your soap isn't in direct sunlight when you set it to cure in the sunroom. Several people have mentioned their soap developing DOS (going rancid) from sitting in sunlight.

A tip - start small. I recommend starting with small batches (maybe 24 to 32 oz) so you can try different percentages of oils to find out what you prefer. Once you have a couple of keeper recipes, then you can start making larger batches.

You don't need to start with special molds. Containers which are PP5 (like cottage cheese or yogurt) can be used for molds. You want something which is flexible to get the soap out. You can also use cereal boxes or shoe boxes. I recommend using freezer paper because it has a waxed side to line molds which aren't made of silicone. Other people have said butcher paper will work, too. I haven't tried it so I don't know how well it works.

You can use herbal powders when you want to start playing with colors. I really like paprika as a colorant for orange. Another which I like is parsley powder but add it after trace to preserve the greenish color. I haven't had a good result from mustard powder. It didn't produce a yellow color for me but I might not have added enough. There are others and you might like reading green soap's topics on botanical colors asnd herbal infusions.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=24420
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=25603

HTH

Hi,
I too am brand new to this forum. To any forum actually! I have been making soap for years though. To get started you can use milk cartons for molds, no liner required. You just peel them off and toss in the garbage (one use only). Also, I have never used a stick blender, just a stainless spoon. So starting out you don't have to spend much money. I am interested in trying a stick, blender that is one of the reasons I decided to join a forum. I'd like to expand on what I've been doing.

Thank you! Looks like I'm on the right track then. I do plan to start simple and small. Hmm...I'll have to see what I can do about where to cure. Does it need to be well ventilated? Would a walk in closet be good?

Welcome. As far as storage, I had a cupboard available that is above our fridge that I have all my oils, lye, FO, colorant, pretty much all of the "chemical" side of soapmaking stored in. It's well out of reach of little hands, even if they somehow managed to get on the counter (It's a pretty big refrigerator). At my last home I had it all stored under a sink in the laundry room and just kept the cupboards locked.

Another mold idea, since you have small children, is if you give them fruit cups (we do) you can save those containers and they make great little single cavity molds. Other people have used empty pringles cans or, keeping with the round idea, you can usually get pvc pipe pretty cheap at hardware stores. 2.5 to 3 inch diameter is a good size. Good luck as you begin this new hobby!

I got a lot of my soap making tools at thrift stores. If you have any extra room in the fridge, oils can go in there. Lye and fragrances maybe high up on a closet or cupboard shelf. Welcome to the forum and to soap making..

I'll have to see what I can do about where to cure. Does it need to be well ventilated? Would a walk in closet be good?

The sunroom should be fine as long as the sun isn't directly on the soap. You could also make a canopy out of cardboard boxes to put over the soap if it's a sunny spot.

It's better to have a well ventilated area but I've read comments by other people who've stated they've used closets. Again, I don't know how well it would work since I don't use a closet for curing. Perhaps one of them will see this and give info about using a walk-in closet.

So I've done it. Today I sat down and ordered most of the supplies I'll need to start making soap! 0_o trying not to worry about the cost, as I hope to build this into a business. But I'll be happy with it being a hobby too. All I have left to get is water. I read tap water isn't best to use. Opinions? I was thinking of buying distilled water, unless someone has a recommendation. Maybe boiled water? But boiled water won't remove minerals etc. that might be in the tap water...hmm.. ^_^ Now to try and figure out the calculators in the stickies here!

Hi Jennifer...Is your book by Elizabeth Letcavaage? Welcome to the wonderful world of soapmaking. Just a word of warning though. It is highly addictive.

What kind of soap are you interested in making?

I have been making cold process soap since 1995. I use filtered water with no problems. I have a large laundry/soap room. This is where they are stored until ready for my family or friends use.
You will find a lot of great soap makers here with good advise.

So many great responses! I want to put my input in too! :)

I made my first batch using items I found at a good will store. I got these great pyrex mixing bowls (they had to of been made from the 1960's) bright yellow and pale green GLORIOUSLY priced at a $1.00 a peace! Found a large stainless steel soup kettle for $3, and plastic pitchers for $0.50! I love to go to the thrift store :)

My husband made a wooden mold for me which I have been using now since 2007 and I love it. He has made me more since then, but the first one will always have a place in my heart.

My first batch was 60% OO, 35% CO, 5% Castor
Good Luck Soaping!!

Dancing Survivor, I'll try to check tonight. (At work). Using a britta filter sounds great! I already have a pitcher, so I can just buy a new filter.

Once you mix the lye and water mixture into the oils, or once the lye/water cools, are we fume free? I live in an apartment right now and my hubby wants me to do the fume/toxic/ dangerous part outside our home. But I live in Georgia and its really humid here, will that adversely affect the mix? Thanks!

Everyone has a different take on the lye part, I think it can be more dangerous to carry the lye any further than you need to. If your water is cool you shouldn't have hardly any fumes.When I first started making soap I was amazed that it really didn't fume much, I use food grade lye, but have heard that it doesn't really make much difference. I put my container in the sink and if it starts to fume I step back a few feet, when I remember I run the fan on the stove hood. How far is your sink from where you will be adding the lye to the oils? Oh and yes you are fume free within a minute or two of mixing the lye.

Dancing Survivor, Yes, the book I have is by Elizabeth Letcavage. Is she good? Did I get a decent book?

Got about half my supplies in the mail yesterday! Should have most of the rest by Friday.

Farmgirl, I don't know myself, guessing you could fill up a pvc pipe and then when all is set, saw it open? but then that would be a one time mold...did a quick search found this: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2352

One word caution . Not really enough time between now and Christmas to make sure you have everything set to be giving away soaps as gifts you could get D.O.S color morphing plus really gonna be little close make sure they have cured enough. I agree with thrift store finds for supplies also dollar stores for molds.Welcome to soaping its fun .

One word caution . Not really enough time between now and Christmas to make sure you have everything set to be giving away soaps as gifts you could get D.O.S color morphing plus really gonna be little close make sure they have cured enough. I agree with thrift store finds for supplies also dollar stores for molds.Welcome to soaping its fun .

Hi Jennikate! I'll definitely keep that in mind. But, if I make my first soap by say Aug. 23rd, that'll give me at least 6 weeks for it to cure. I've read most soap needs a 4-6 week cure time. I'd only be giving it to family and friends. It just depends on when I get my lye and when I can then do my first mix once my lye arrives. I won't rush it, but I'm hoping I'll be able to give out some soap this Christmas. ^_^

curious how to use pvc pipe as a mold? Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks

I've done a PVC mold a could of times. I attach a bag or some plastic wrap on one end and secure it with a rubberband or two. I only have small sections(6" or so) of PVC, so they are pretty easy to work with. Let it gel overnight and push it out with an old green bean can. If it is too hard, I sometimes throw it in the oven for a few minutes.(let the oven preheat to warm and shut it off.)

Latest posts

Back