Newbie from Mass

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucythecat

Reaction score
Hi All,

Came across this forum while browsing soap making sites and have been lurking and learnning gobs and gobs from the great info posted here!! Thanks for sharing so much experience, it's so helpful to people new to this. :)

Already make my first batch, a GM, Coc Oil, PO, OO, Jojaba, and had a terrible scare when my goat milk/lye turned orange as the lye dissolved. Quickly got it into an ice bath, and went ahead with it not knowing what it would come out like all the while fearing the absolute worst!! Two days after pouring it was a tad soft and felt a bit oily but I couldn't stop myself and had to try it and I am officially hooked. :) It was fab!! Sudsy and creamy and just to die for. I'm sure I have a long way to go but this result was soo worth it. :D

I do have a question. I run a small non-profit group that helps homeless cats and I've learned that some EO's are a problem for cats. (Tee Trea). Does anyone know of a place I can learn more and any advice about how not to harm the kitties? I have 3 cats, one a shelter kitty with asthma and want to be in the know as to any hazards. I'm storing all supplies and drying in the office, where the kitties aren't free to go.

Thanks all!!

Hello,

Oh gee about the asthmatic cat. I have one too & my scents nearly killed her & I am so serious! Keep the asmatic cat out of the area where you store your scents (both eo's and fo's) and where you use them. Most eo's are deadly to cats & my fo's made my cat wish she was dead. She was sleeping in my storage room & I just wasn't thinking. I had to rush her to the vet for oxygen twice in one week. It was gradual & just worsened over time. I started locking the door & she got so much better! I know, she or any other animal should have never been near my supplies for LOTS of reasons. I learned my lesson! Seriously though, many eo's are deadly. You should consult with your vet.

Thx!

Thx so much for the warning..I had feared this was something to be extra careful with. I was planning to talk to my vet tomorrow, and probably need to come up with a way to keep this one kitty completly separate while making my batches as well as keeping her out of the storage area. If I learn anything of value I'll be sure to pass it on.

welcome-3.gif

Irena

:D Hi and welcome to THe SMF, Lucy. We are glad you are here and found our chatty, friendly little group of soapiers and B&B people, and chandlers, too. Hope you enjoy your stay!

paul....I'm in the TOG House now! :roll:

I have 2 cats, one is 15 years young and the other is just over 1 year. My old cat thinks I am her mom since I got her when she was just 2 weeks old and had to feed her with a bottle. AAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!

Nice to meet you and your furry friends!

Thanks for the greetings everyone and for intro's to your furry friends. ( those who have them) Coming from this end, where we see so many suffering and homeless, it's gratifying to hear of the babies who had diffucult beginnings having a warm, loving life. We see far too little of that :( We do see lots of hubbies threatening divorce if another cat comes home tho!! If I had a dollar......

Off to piece together tonight's recipe :)

Back