Newbie from Katy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirandazoo

Reaction score
:D I am so glad I found this forum! I am making my very first batch the weekend after next. I'm a little nervous and excited too. I have had the materials together for a few years, but back surgery put a halt for a while. I've read and re-read the few books I have and am actually dreaming about it. Silly, huh? Do you all have any suggestions and advice for a newbie? I'd sure appreciate any...

Buy a stick mixer :D And make sure you have a good mold. My first 2 batches A: took forever to trace B: looked like carp. I am very new as well mirandazoo so that is about all the advise I am good for. Welcome though and maybe we can learn together.
Oh one more piece of advise. If you have been considering a second mortgage, now may be a good time :wink:

Welcome to the SMF forum! We are a friendly bunch of soap makers at every stage of experience and types of soaping. We'll help you out as much as we can! We have all been where you are right now! We are all addicted to this fun, serious, craft, hobby, or livelihood! I had to start selling soap molds to pay for my supplies!
Yes, I still dream up recipes, ingredients, colourants, but mainly now, what new mold idea I can produce in my TOG shop. LOL Welcome again!

Paul....:)

If you live in an apartment like I do and cannot take out a mortgage, the next best thing is CREDIT CARDS!!!!! :D :D :D

I think I have spent about 1K or more so far on molds and supplies.

More tips:
1. Run every recipe through a lye calculator.
2. Prepare your mold ahead of time if you need to line it because some recipes trace very quickly.
3. Take notes so if it comes out perfectly you can reproduce it next time and if it doesn't turn out right, reading over your notes and recipe may help you figure out what went wrong.

Chris

Thanks for the advice...I do have a stick mixer and my husband is making me some molds. I'll let ya'all know how it turns out!

Welcome!

Welcome, girl!

I'm a newbie too! Soapmaking is a fun, addictive, boatload of fun. My advice?

Double check your weights. Right down the steps. Measure out your ingredients and prepare your mold, the night/day before your soapmaking date. Put everything away that you won't be using. Organization will help control the nervousness that may come with the first try. Having a bunch of stuff around can confuse you, if you're trying to remember what comes next.

Lye is dangerous, so respect it. But it's easily neutralized and if you pay attention, wear protection (goggles, gloves and a face mask) and remember to add the LYE to the WATER, you'll be perfectly fine.

Have fun!

Latest posts

Back