Newbie from BC

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Hippie

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm Chuck Hays ("Old Hippie") from Black Pines BC, which we affectionately call Resume Speed.

Soap history: Well, I've been using it most of my life. :D I picked up a basic book on CP soap a year or so ago, intending to get a round tuit one day soon. Most of the year I'm a university professor (Journalism), and in summer I'm a farmer. Christmas break is my time to launch new projects; too cold to spend much time outside and there's not much happening out there, anyway.

Because of a long chain of events that led me to think about shaving soap, I found Songwind's recipe here and then spent the next four days reading five years worth of posts in that thread. I feel about as full of information as the little kid who stuck a fork in the light socket. Thanks SO much to everyone who contributed to the thread.

Now I get to go reinforce my foundation understanding, and then I'll try it out. Probably start with a 100g batch. Enough to make several weeks worth of soap, small enough to toss it if it doesn't work. I do a lot of cooking, cheesemaking, brewing, baking, and fermentation (yogurt, skyr, cultured butter, charcuterie, salumi, sourdough, miso, etc.) so I FEEL like I know what to expect. I am also mindful that I don't know everything, but that's part of the adventure as well.

Now I'll dive back into figuring things out!

Cheers,

Old Hippie

Welcome to the forum.

100g batches save supplies but require a really good scale to measure small amounts. No doubt, with all your hobbies you have a really good scale!

@OldHippie Welcome, and hello from 108 Mile Ranch!! And cheese making, yum!! My hubby and I took a class for our anniversary a few years ago.. let us know how that shave soap turned out!

Latest posts

Back