Newbie Digital Scale Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debi

Reaction score
Good Morning, Just a quick newbie question. I have a digital food scale and it is pretty old. I checked it this am and it is accurate for weight but it does not measure say 4.24 it will measure 4.2 if I add another .4 grams will that be accurate or do I need another scale? Thanks so much :confused:

Do you mean to say that it measures to the tenth of a gram but not to the hundredth of a gram? If so, yes, that would be just fine for soaping. If you are making greater than 1 lb batches then you only need to measure to the whole gram so being able to measure to the tenths or hundredths places is a plus!

So if the SoapCalc says to add 120.10 grams of Lye, if my scale only goes to 120 grams that will be ok? Sorry, but I just want to make sure that I am doing all this correctly!! LOL Thank you both for the quick answers

Yes, for oils and butters always round up for lye round down. So, if it says 120.10 grams then do 120 grams. However, if it said 120.51 grams I would go to 121 grams for oils but only 120 for lye. Hope this makes sense.

Oh, yes that does make total sense and THANK YOU all. I so did not want to buy another scale, lol would much rather order other goodies!!!! :)

Back